Crash Chilling Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattress

Reaction score
At the moment I don't have a fridge that I'm able to crash chill in. The one I was using now has kegs in it.

As the cold weather has now hit Canberra (Winter is coming) would it be OK to just leave my secondary fermenter out in the shed for a couple of days before kegging?

Temp is dropping down to below zero overnight, not quite this cold inside my shed though.

The temp will raise a bit throughout the day but will still stay below 10 degrees in the shed, colder than my fermenting fridge.

Will the rise and fall at these temps hurt my beer?

Thanks

I take it that fermentation has finished Mattress? Those temps will be great for clearing your beer in secondary, to keep the secondary at a steady temp wrap it up in a blanket or something similar. To keep it really cold keep the blanket on during the day and take it off at night.

I'd guess it will be better than doing nothing, however the day/night temperature fluctuations is not something that your yeast will like very much and would be best to avoid if possible.

Back