Crash chilling and priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberries

Reaction score
Hello
I am doing this recipe
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1339-bullshead-kolsch/
And was wondering.... If after fermentation and then CC for 2 weeks, will priming with sugar still carbonate after that. i.e will the yeast be viable enough to be able to carbonate the bottles after 2 weeks of CC.
I was wondering if CC was only for pressure kegging.
Thanks in advance.

It will be fine, plenty of yeast left to carbonate the bottles. Get into it!

It will be fine but I do find a drop in carbonation after cc. Most would like quite a bit of bubble in their kolsch...

Also bare in mind that it may take a lot longer to carb up, but will get there eventually

Any reason why your CCing for 2 weeks? Is it because you have to (Going away etc) or because you think you need to?

You only need to CC for a couple of days really. You can CC longer say 4-5 days and will certainly get clearer beer the longer you do but to get most particles out of suspension and sitting on the bottom I have found that usually 2-3 days at 1-2C is enough.

But if you have to CC for 2 weeks it wont be a problem.

I'm with Truman,
I don't see the need to CC a kolsch for 2 weeks.
4-5 days should be plenty to drop it out clean before bottling.
Its not a lager so need for extended time at low temps.

Further to this, when I go to bottle and prime is it necessary to bring the temperature back to say 18 deg, or can I prime a 2deg and raise the temp after that

Just bottle it cold, it'll warm up in the bottles, and probably faster than warming up the batch as a whole too given bottles are obviously a smaller size. That's what I do and it works fine.

Latest posts

Back