Crash Chilled Before Fermentation Was Finished

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
I have 2 fermentation fridges and last night I turned one down to 5 degrees to clear the beer before kegging.
Turns out that I adjusted the wrong fridgemate. The beer was still at about 1.014 and still had a bit to go.
I have turned it up to 15 degrees again to finish the fermentation. just wondering, will this have any ill effects on the finished product?

Gregor

I have 2 fermentation fridges and last night I turned one down to 5 degrees to clear the beer before kegging.
Turns out that I adjusted the wrong fridgemate. The beer was still at about 1.014 and still had a bit to go.
I have turned it up to 15 degrees again to finish the fermentation. just wondering, will this have any ill effects on the finished product?

Gregor

I wouldn't think so, but it might have put the yeast to sleep. Since it's that close to finish you could almost go for a diacetyl rest at 20C to finish it off.

How long was it chilled for?

I'm guessing it's a lager, as you're only turning it up to 15. If so I reckon it's all probably ok. During ferment I drop the temp down a degree each day from 10 to 5 and it keeps fermenting away without any issues.

How long was it chilled for?

I'm guessing it's a lager, as you're only turning it up to 15. If so I reckon it's all probably ok. During ferment I drop the temp down a degree each day from 10 to 5 and it keeps fermenting away without any issues.

It was an ale, 1056 yeast. Its been at 5 degrees for about 20 hours now.
I do most of my ales at 15 and lagers at 10.

Latest posts

Back