Crankandstein Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

brasserie de cancrelat
Reaction score
thought i would post a couple of pics of the crankandstein mill, and the base, hopper and crush('west end' pale malt). Just a 10 minute job to make up and just left the mill on the default setting

Mill_Set_up.JPG

Looks great Roach, next pay I'll be ordering one :D

Which model did you get?

jleske

I got the base model - the 2S for $69 US. IMHO you don't need to upgrade unless you want to frequently change gap settings.

cheers
Roach

Ben - your damm straight its the goods. more than happy with the results. i reckon with the set up i have its prolly the cheapest off the shelf mill goin around, save for the margo! It was too easy to grab an old water bottle for the hopper, a bit of scrap melamine for the mill mount, and an old mayo bucket from Barnacle Bills for $3.

cheers
Roach

roach said:
Ben - your damm straight its the goods. more than happy with the results. i reckon with the set up i have its prolly the cheapest off the shelf mill goin around, save for the margo! It was too easy to grab an old water bottle for the hopper, a bit of scrap melamine for the mill mount, and an old mayo bucket from Barnacle Bills for $3.

cheers
Roach
[post="31280"][/post]​

gday roach,

i'm trying to source a mill, have you got a contact or a site where you got yours from please.

thanks
ruserious

http://www.crankandstein.com/

Fred Francis is an awesome person to deal with too. My missus ordered one for me for last chrissy, 5 days before actually....it arrived tween chrissy and new year; last year.

thanks Linz.
appreciate that, i think i feel a late xmas gift coming on. ;)

:beer:
ruserious

Josh, buying a mill has come up quite a few times before. There is a very good topic spanning a few pages discussing the alternatives, from a cheap Marga which you need to mod yourself, through the very efficient Barley Crusher and the top end Cadillac stuff of Fred's.

Depends on what you can afford, how long you can wait and are you happy with sending money overseas to unknown people.

Make sure you have a look at Stagger's gear, he makes mills for sale from time to time and they look bullet proof. Maybe you could put your name down for one of his.

Have a look at Sosman's mill. He made it from Jarrah and it is a fine example of craftsmanship.

I currently have a Barley Crusher, which does a great job. If I had a few dollars lying around, I would find it hard to select between a Stagger mill and an optioned mill from Fred.

I love the hopper, roach.

Kai, if you want a really attenuative wort then mash at 64 to 65 - not 66. Its that dicky. Good luck with your Saison - one of my favourite styles and currently drinking but a bit heavy in this hot weather ar 6.?% ABV

Wes

Roach,

How much did it cost to get it shipped out to Oz ?

cheers

Charlie,

These mills weigh a bit so shipping aint cheap.

In Sept 05 I got some quotes direct from Fred at Crankandstein:

For the 2-S model it was $44 US to ship to Sydney via airmail.
For the 2-A it was $50 US (the rollers are longer so it's a little heavier).
All the 3 roller mills were $61 US for shipping.

I got the 2-A and total was $200 AUD ($149US) including shipping.

Jez

Jez said:
I got the 2-A and total was $200 AUD ($149US) including shipping.

Jez
[post="100341"][/post]​

That's about where I am at the moment. TWOC in Perth have them too, so now it's just a matter of comparing freight and costs including the exchange rate.

pint of lager said:
Make sure you have a look at Stagger's gear, he makes mills for sale from time to time and they look bullet proof. Maybe you could put your name down for one of his.

If I had a few dollars lying around, I would find it hard to select between a Stagger mill and an optioned mill from Fred.
[post="100293"][/post]​

Stagger,
could you possibly PM me about the availability of a mill.

cheers
ruserious

wessmith said:
Kai, if you want a really attenuative wort then mash at 64 to 65 - not 66. Its that dicky. Good luck with your Saison - one of my favourite styles and currently drinking but a bit heavy in this hot weather ar 6.?% ABV

Wes
[post="100304"][/post]​

Thanks for the tip, Wes. I was planning on dropping the OG on mine back a bit to make it a bit more easy drinking over summer.

And just to stay on topic, I hope to start the saison with a good crush. I've been looking at crankandsteins myself, part of me is tempted to get a three roller but I don't know if that's overkill or not.

Kai,
Your only likely to buy one mill in your lifetime. Get what your happy with. I would go the three roller. Ultimately, it will end up with a better crush and less flour. Not too much more cost either.
cheers
Darren

Back