Crankandstein Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

How do the crankandstein's get on with crushing by hand, is it feasible for an average 4-5kg grain bill (i.e < 10mins) or do you really need to motorise them?

I'm using an old corona at the moment and it seems to take forever sometimes.

cheers.

I bought a Valley mill years ago before there was really any choice. I remember the first 5 or so kilo batches I also cranked it by hand (some would say I do I lot of that).
I imagine the Crankandsteins would be the same. Bit of a novelty and workout when you first get one. 5kg is easy. Motorised mine only because I am lazy (and make the odd 25kg batch).
cheers
Darren

know what you mean frog
i look forward to the 4-5kg grain bills and dread the 7-8kg monsters
i'm still thinking of motorising my mill because what i have works and i could spend $300 on kegs, liquid yeasts & copper tubing for a chiller.

tangent said:
know what you mean frog
i look forward to the 4-5kg grain bills and dread the 7-8kg monsters
i'm still thinking of motorising my mill because what i have works and i could spend $300 on kegs, liquid yeasts & copper tubing for a chiller.
[post="100419"][/post]​

Tangent, keep your eye out for a free motor and your smokin'. Pully and belts cost nothing.
Cranking is good exercise too!

my old man's a sparkie, so he's got quite a collection of electric motors, i've just got to be careful as he tends to over-engineer things (i could hang our car off our new gate hinges)

Darren said:
Kai,
Your only likely to buy one mill in your lifetime. Get what your happy with. I would go the three roller. Ultimately, it will end up with a better crush and less flour. Not too much more cost either.
cheers
Darren
[post="100402"][/post]​

Thanks Darren, between you and the chatmonkeys I've been won over. I'm looking at the CGM-3D on the site and can feel the equipment lust rising.

However, I need a counterflow chiller before I need a mill, I think.

Two options I'm considering for motorising my yet-to-be-purchased mill are a washing machine motor (complete with belts and pulleys) or a car windscreen wiper motor. I'm leaning toward the washing machine motor as it has the belt and pulleys and will be mains powered.

Pully and belts cost nothing.

I've already got a 1/2 horsepower motor (1424 rpm) to motorise my crankandstein & recently went to a bearing place where they quoted me $150 for 2 pulleys!?!?

needless to say I thanked them & bid them gooday.

any suggestions for where I can salvage a cheap pulley or 2?

Jez

the crankandstien looks good i would go the 3 roller option but i am happpy with the barley crusher but if you a tight arse light me and want to save a bit you can get the bc mill with body only and use your drill on the main roller to drive it is easy as

I too have one of these mills, though I bought the adjustable model and to be honest, RARELY adjust it once I had it set to my favourite crush! Quite cheap for what you get and its a very heavy duty unit, you could put a huge amount of grain through it and it would happily chew it up.

Pics of it on the website.

Jez said:

I've already got a 1/2 horsepower motor (1424 rpm) to motorise my crankandstein & recently went to a bearing place where they quoted me $150 for 2 pulleys!?!?

Jez
[post="100452"][/post]​

Jez, you thought about the pulleys on the front of a car motor? Surely you could reef one of that bastards off at a wreckers somewhere

berto said:
Jez said:

Jez
[post="100452"][/post]​

Jez, you thought about the pulleys on the front of a car motor? Surely you could reef one of that bastards off at a wreckers somewhere
[post="103588"][/post]​

I don't think the pulley from a car motor will slow the speed down enough. At a guess it would need to be around 25cm in diameter (or more) to slow from 1424rpm.

cheers
Darren

Jez, if I find some time I will try and find out the number of the guys I bought my pulley from. I reckon it was about $35 from memory. If I don't get back to you let your fingers do the walking and try the yellow pages.

cheers
Darren

Thanks for the input guys, after trying the yellow pages with not much luck I stumbled across a pulley place just down the road from me - "AIM Industrial" at Padstow.

I got a 2" & a 9" aluminuim pulley + belt & pulleys precisely bored out to fit my shafts for $70.

I stupidly told them at the time I needed to run the crankandtein at 300rpm then realized afterwards I should've told them closer to 100rpm.

I was too late to change it so I was stuck so I'll try it & see how it goes - if the crush is crappy I am able to replace the 2" with a 1.25" which will hopefully slow the crush to about 187 rpm by my calculations.

Jez

Any idea where I can pick up a used water carboy to use as a hopper?

Don't want to pay a whole lot.

Im workin on a freebie too, Josh.......

Josh said:
Any idea where I can pick up a used water carboy to use as a hopper?

Don't want to pay a whole lot.
[post="108309"][/post]​

There are usually a few around in call centres :)

Latest posts

Back