Crankandstein Choices

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntboozer

Reaction score
Oh guru's af all things AG,
The time has come to decide on a grain mill. After bucket loads of reading the forums on this site I have decided to head down the path of Crankandstein :beerbang:
My question.
Is it worth the extra $'s for me to get the 3D over the 2D?
I want to buy right the first time so I don't mind spending a few extra $'s now if it means avoiding replacement later.
Over to the floor.
Cheers
NT
:beer:

Hello ntboozer,

I emailed Fred regarding the same question a while a go & here is his response:-

The 2A is all you need for 10 gallon batches, more than that is icing on the
cake. Its really personal preference, and how much $$ you have to spend.
How much do you want to impress your friends? : ) Personally I use the
2A, but if I were to upgrade, I would probably go with the 3E in stainless
with the 1/2" shaft. We have brewpubs using our 3E with stainless rollers
milling thousands of lbs of grain before needing re-knurling.

We now have a dealer in Australia. Please contact Roy Ladhams at TWOC
Brewing supplies in Bibra Lake, Western Australia. He should have the 3D
and the 2A in stock. They're at http://www.homebru.com.au/ . They will be
our dealer in Australia and New Zealand. Of course, if you have any
problems or questions, please contact me.

Thanks,

~~fred francis
CrankandStein.com

I must admit that I want the "Bells & Whistles" 3D, stain;ess rollers & 1/2 inch drive :super:

If you have the extra cash, have a search for Dicko's 3 roller Crankandstein, it is a work of art. I'm very happy with my handcranked 2D but if I had the readies Dicko's mill is the ants pants.

didnt someone here order one awhile ago from twoc and never recieve it?
did you eventually get it? i may have missed the post.

cheers
big d

PhilS said:
We now have a dealer in Australia. Please contact Roy Ladhams at TWOC
Brewing supplies in Bibra Lake, Western Australia. He should have the 3D
and the 2A in stock. They're at http://www.homebru.com.au/ . They will be
our dealer in Australia and New Zealand.

Bloody useless website. The only contact details the site has is for an email, that bounces back.

I was going to buy a CnS mill, but I bet the prices have gone up now a local distributor has stepped in as a middle man. I f*****g hate it when this happens, as you know you can buy it cheaper, if the OS supplier was preapred to sell direct.

Anyone who has contact details for TWOC, can you please get a list of the various model prices.

Cheers
MAH

i agree mah.it makes you wonder why a manufacturer would direct you to the aust dealers site when it has absolutely no pictures/prices or info what so ever on the crankenstein or even the fact that he is the aust/nz distributor.
hardly good business.

cheers
big d

too right!
i just wasted 10 minutes on that site.
we must be small fish bigD, too few sales to bother keeping an eye on :(

I sent an email to Fred and he replied to contact the local dist (W.A. is not that local for me).
I did that with no reply so I contacted fred again and he was happy to sell me one direct and I fixed him up via paypal.

The 2a is a Great Mill for the price but the 3 roller would be sick....

Luke

>>>
Qty: Desc. Price Ext.
1 CGM-2A $99.00
1 CGM-1/2DRV $20.00
Subtotal: $119.00
Shipping: $51
<<<

I was In Melbourne within a week or 2.

Luke

MAH said:
Bloody useless website. The only contact details the site has is for an email, that bounces back.

I was going to buy a CnS mill, but I bet the prices have gone up now a local distributor has stepped in as a middle man. I f*****g hate it when this happens, as you know you can buy it cheaper, if the OS supplier was preapred to sell direct.

Anyone who has contact details for TWOC, can you please get a list of the various model prices.

Cheers
MAH
[post="84090"][/post]​

MAH

Had exactly this trouble last week. I contacted CnS direct and they gave me both a shipping quote for buying direct and a working email for TWOC. Working it all out it is about $15 cheaper buying it through TWOC. They will do a 2A for $187 plus $10 postage (express post). Direct its US$99 plus US$51 postage so US$150 all up. Working on a $0.70 exchange rate thats A$214. Slightly cheaper by sea mail but you have to wait 8 weeks instead of 4-10 days.

TWOC's working email address is [email protected]. They have them in stock and delivery is next day to anywhere express post delivers next day.

Cheers
Dave.

It was me who had the 'lost mill inicident', however TWOC did send me a replacement eventually.....I would personally recomend ordering through Fred directly...

Cheers

My Crankandstein 3D with the works turned up today. Now to build a base a hopper and motorise it.

It took a 9 weeks and 1 day to get here by the cheapest post method. I was a little concerned about it taking so long but Fred was fantastic about it and said even if he has to resend and resend I will get me mill.

I weighs a quite a bit for something so small.

Just in time to start crushing my malt bills for the Christmas beers.

Kirem

I was a dissapointed that TWOC didn't have the mills on their website, especially when you are ready to buy one. I like looking at pics & prices :)

kirem, keep us up to date on your project to motorise your mill. I want to go the way of direct drive or geared drive rather than using a pulley.

Why direct drive or geared?

I think pulley would be easier to source and set up.

Hi kirem, after looking at the size differences between hand drills & the pulley, I prefer the direct drive approach.

Although I have seen some nice setups, I'm not a big fan of the wheels & pulleys (might have something to do with the videos shown of accidents during my apprenticeship)

I guess that it all boils down to being aesthetically better to me :)

the barley crusher is a good mill too and i got good service from them

Kirem,
When you say "3D with the works" are you talking 1/2" drive and SS rollers?
If so what did that cost you to get into Aust?
NT
:beer:

Yes SS rollers and 1/2 inch drive.

I will have to look back through my statements. It wasn't cheap.

Back