Craftbrewer (Keg King) element blown again :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guysmiley54

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was so looking forward to a good brew day today, the last chance for a long time due to work commitments and moving house in a few weeks. Turned on the power and BOOM!

20130131_080109.jpg

So, I'm now looking for a solution to brew today. Anyone know somewhere in Hobart where I could get a replacement that would fit in the same hole? Maybe it's time to grab one of those snazzy Stokes over the side jobbies?

November 2011, it was a replacement for another blown unit

Guy,

Elements back then were still giving problems, the new elements have resolved the over heating issue. Drop me an email & we'll get it replaced immediately.

Doesn't resolve your brewing issue today, so will let it get back on topic. Any electrical store should stock over the edge elements, get the black element if possible over chrome.

Cheers Ross

P.S. It's not a CraftBrewer element, it's 100% Kegking.

Hi Ross, thanks for the reply. I have sent you an email.

Just out of interest, can you recommend an electrical store? I'm having trouble finding one that stocks it...

The Stokes re-seller is out of stock and I can't find anyone else selling one so far.

Brewday is on hold, last chance for around 2 months... Sucks for me :(

See if there is a Heatcraft office near you, i think they sell OTS elements

sp0rk said:
See if there is a Heatcraft office near you, i think they sell OTS elements
Thanks for the help but they don't stock OTS elements.

That or if you're not too far from Coffs, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or Perth, Give Thermal Electric Elements a try (they aren't cheap though)
they may have some OTS elements in stock at the sales offices
http://thermalelectric.com.au/

What about another Hobart brewer who could help you out?

EDIT: Also saves you having to buy something you don't really need, as you'll get a replacement from Ross anyway.

Florian hit it on the head, I don't want to buy something that I won't need once my replacement comes in. I've wanted a handheld for extra power/backup for ages anyway, kicking myself for not getting one :p

At this stage, with the morning pretty well gone I think I will hit the LHBS for some extract and do my first extract brew in over 2 years! Maybe a basic S&W Pacific Ale type thing. Anyone have a target for ibu with that one? I'm thinking 23-25, no crystal with tonnes of late hops. I also have some Summer Saaz sitting around I wanted to brew with, how well would that work in a basic blonde ale?

Smiley,

think outside the box mate.

Reduce your volume and use your BBQ to boil.

Element will look more F8cked afterwards, but you have clearly shown it was f*cked before you started, Ross has seen it and am sure will honour the replacement anyway. Get that brew on mate!

Cheers,
D80

No BBQ at the moment, getting ready to move...

I went extract and had a short (intense) aroma boil with all my bitterness derived from 10 and 5 minute additions. Considering how long it has been since my extract days it will be interesting to see how it comes out... If drunk quickly (my goal :) ) the aroma hops should overpower any shortcomings from the extract... :ph34r: :p

Yep that's the one. In all fairness, Ross contacted keg king and the guys there were very helpful. They seem super confident that the most recent changes in manufacturing have fixed the problem. For what its worth, I was told that there hasn't been a single failure with the new model.

Fingers crossed!

In any case, would I will be picking up an ots element to help speed up brew days and as a backup in the future

Latest posts

Back