CraftBeerPI Brew Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
I'm trying to get CraftBeerPi to install and run - but upon running the install, I get the below.
After I say yes to "would you like to install wiringPI I get an error:
"fatal: unable to connect to git.drogon.net"

I'm guessing this is why I am unable to start the service?

When I run:
systemctl status craftbeerpiboot.service

I get:

failed to execute command Exec format error
Failed at step EXEC spawning /etc/initi.d/craftbeerpiboot: Exec format error
Control process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Ok so I manually installed Python - and all is well. It installed and I can browse the web page and set up some of the config.

I can't seem to add 1-wire temperature sensors. From the drop down all I get is "Please select" but there are no other options.

And I'm assuming you have a 1-wire sensor correctly wired in?

Hey,
Yeah I've got the 1wire interface enabled. Interestingly I was able to add 2 temperature sensors without anything plugged in. I was wondering why I could only add 2 so I changed the type of sensor in the config to 1wire_v2 - which gave me an average and a maximum setting that I wasn't sure about.
I then changed back to 1wire as the sensor type and can't choose anything from the drop down now.
I have also tried wiring in a 1wire sensor with no change.

I have restarted the service and when trying to start it up, now I'm getting:

$ sudo service craftbeerpiboot status
● craftbeerpiboot.service - LSB: Put a short description of the service here
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/craftbeerpiboot; generated)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2020-03-09 04:13:27 GMT; 10min ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)

Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[1]: Starting craftbeerpiboot.service...
Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[664]: craftbeerpiboot.service: Failed to execute command: Exec format error
Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[664]: craftbeerpiboot.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /etc/init.d/craftbeer
Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[1]: craftbeerpiboot.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[1]: craftbeerpiboot.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[1]: Failed to start craftbeerpiboot.service.
lines 1-11/11 (END)...skipping...
● craftbeerpiboot.service - LSB: Put a short description of the service here
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/craftbeerpiboot; generated)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2020-03-09 04:13:27 GMT; 10min ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)

Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[1]: Starting craftbeerpiboot.service...
Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[664]: craftbeerpiboot.service: Failed to execute command: Exec format error
Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[664]: craftbeerpiboot.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /etc/init.d/craftbeerpiboot: Exec format erro
Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[1]: craftbeerpiboot.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[1]: craftbeerpiboot.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 09 04:13:27 beerpi systemd[1]: Failed to start craftbeerpiboot.service.

Hmmmm not sure what's going on. Restarted the whole pi and it came up fine.
But when I try and add a temp sensor, there's nothing in the drop down boxes except for "Please select"

Alright so I've found the version 3 of CraftBeerPi and have installed that.
Seems to be more robust in regards to restarting of the service and even the whole pi itself.
However I am still not getting anything in the temperature drop down list.
I have tried a few sensors.

Another update (is there a limit? haha)

Plugged in my original BrewTroller 3 sensor harness which had wired in in resistors and it works!

Is there a way to average out 2 of the sensors?
I used to have one on the IN of the HERMS coil and one on the OUT and would average the 2....

Hey all,

Is there any way to run a UPS for the raspberry pi whilst running the Craftbeerpi V3.0 board and 12V input power?

Could I get a 5V UPS that plugs into a usb port on the rpi board or into the usb-c jack without it interfering with the power supply from the CBPi board?

I looked into a 12v battery pack but i couldn't seem to find one that will supply the necessary 5A.

Cheers

Hey all,

Is there any way to run a UPS for the raspberry pi whilst running the Craftbeerpi V3.0 board and 12V input power?

Could I get a 5V UPS that plugs into a usb port on the rpi board or into the usb-c jack without it interfering with the power supply from the CBPi board?

I looked into a 12v battery pack but i couldn't seem to find one that will supply the necessary 5A.

Cheers

How are you powering the pi currently?

Next question - volume measuring.
I was previously using the bubbler method for volume measurement in the HLT and BK and it worked very well.
I would like to employ the same setup but I don't know how to do it and I can't find a suitable plugin.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work?

Through the CBPi board, 12v supply
Look on ebay. You will find a 12v to 5v converter on there. I was looking at them a while ago for the same purpose but was going to use an NBN UPS as the supply.

Hey folks - just planning my electric RIMs setup (well the controller with CraftBeerPi as the brewery is built!).

Using the expansion board (v3), looks like I'll need one additional relay than the board caters for to cover off my solenoid valves - can I add additional relays using the GPIO pins? Also, I want to add three flow meters to measure volume - can I add more than one?

Thanks folks!

Alex.

Anyone upgraded from V2 to V3 and reccomend the upgrade?

Ive been running V2 for about 4 years and its just locked up on me last time I used it (wont let me start or stop steps or change target temp). So thinking about donig the upgrade.

So I did the upgrade (Think V2 froze on me as the SD card was full...)

However now with V3 running I have an issue hopefully someone can help.

It's running fine but will periodically crash causing whatever output was on at the time to remain on. I restart it by inputing the run.py code into the terminal which gets it back working again but will crash again 10-30mins later?

I havent found a solution online yet although I have read some suggestion that a solid power supply fixes a lot of issues so might try that.

I havent found a solution online yet although I have read some suggestion that a solid power supply fixes a lot of issues so might try that.
Hey Tom
If you're not a member already, get on to the craftbeerpi group on facebook, you'll probably get more help there given the user base is so much bigger.

If you continue to have issues with CBPi you might like to look at Node Red. There are a number of ex CBPi users going towards this as apparently it's less prone to crashing and bugs, plus it's real easy to work with and properly open source. Have a look here

Hey Tom
If you're not a member already, get on to the craftbeerpi group on facebook, you'll probably get more help there given the user base is so much bigger.

If you continue to have issues with CBPi you might like to look at Node Red. There are a number of ex CBPi users going towards this as apparently it's less prone to crashing and bugs, plus it's real easy to work with and properly open source. Have a look here

Awesome! Thanks mate ill check it out.

Back