Craft Breweries & Pubs Around Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piraterum

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm heading to Adelaide for a week and looking for some craft breweries & pubs to visit, anything within a day trips distance .

Any recommendations? :icon_cheers:

Bars
The Wheaty is probably the best pub in Adelaide for craft beer - a short tram ride from the CBD. Massive turnover of craft beer, this is THE PLACE to go for your craft beer fix. Whatever day you go there, you can be guaranteed there will be a new beer on tap - http://www.wheatsheafhotel.com.au/
The Bar on Gouger (CBD) have a pretty good supply of international beer - I think 150+ beers last time I looked
Belgium Beer Cafe (Oostende), just off Rundle St have a lot of.....surprise, surprise, Belgium Beer. - http://www.oostende.com.au/
The Earl of Leicester has been getting more crafty these days - http://www.earl.com.au/
The Botanic Bar had a smallish but interesting selection of craft beer last time I was in there - http://www.botanicbar.com.au/
The HWY has a pretty good selection, its a short ride out of town - slowly building up more craft beer.
Cork Wine Bar - a tiny little hole in the wall on Gouger St - a small selection of craft beer and also have some pretty amazing international and local wine.

Breweries
Lobethal Bierhaus - great for lunch, nice drive through the hills, lots of wineries along the way if thats your thing as well...depending on which way you go you may pass 'The Fox and Firkin', which has Old Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin, Pedigree, Newcastle brown and a few other english beers On Tap.....plus a few cans of english ale.
Vale Ale - McLaren Vale, another awesome lunch venue, with lots of wine along the way
Goodieson - McLaren Vale. Cellar door is in the brewery so you get to check out the gear whilst trying their beer.
Brew Boys - Regency Park, right next to Coopers. Do a tour of Coopers then head across the road for some craft beer
Holdfast Hotel - I think this place is still operating as a brewpub, not sure. Close to Glenelg so catch a tram, check out 'The Bay' and maybe go try some of their beer....havent been their in ages so cant comment on how things are there.
Barrossa Valley Brewing - once again in wine country. Cool celllar door with some decent meals.
Barrossa Brewing Company - I think these guys are still out at Grenock, BVB is probably the better option, havent tried BBC for years so no comment.

...oh and if you want restaurant recommendations, I eat out at least once a month, so have a pretty good list of some very high quality establishments. Some pricey, some average, all amazingly good food though.

Last time I was there the barmaid tried to put ice my Hefeweizen...

Last time I was there I fell asleep on a comfy couch, so my craft beer rating of the place probably cant be trusted.

In Canada they tried to put a slice of Orange in my hefe...I'm not sure which is worse.

Arvo all,
Gravey's got the list pretty well stitched. The only thing I'd add is that the Wheaty doesn't have a kitchen so the meals are pretty limited if you're looking for a feed. They do have the best range of beers though so a liquid lunch might be the way to go.
The Earl of Leicester does a huge schnitter (plus some pretty good other meals) and has a couple of rotating taps for variety to complement a reasonable variety in the bottled and tap range.
Cheers,
BB

You could also check out the Steam Exchange at Goolwa. I haven't been there for a couple of years, but it's on the river at Goolwa and you could probably chuck the two Maclaren Vale breweries in a tour if you're keen for a full day trip.

www.steamexchange.com.au

The only thing I'd add is that the Wheaty doesn't have a kitchen so the meals are pretty limited if you're looking for a feed. They do have the best range of beers though so a liquid lunch might be the way to go.
The Wheatsheaf staff can provide you with details of a local pizza joint that will deliver to the Wheaty, good pizza too.

Thanks for all the info and feedback guys, greatly appreciated :beerbang:

Gravey- i'm all ears for some restaurant recommendations, anywhere in particular you can recommend?

The Wheatsheaf staff can provide you with details of a local pizza joint that will deliver to the Wheaty, good pizza too.

As in that deli/cafe across the road? You order it there then they ring when its ready...........

And don't forget Gulf Brewery (at Handorf) and Grumpys (at verdun, on the way to Handorf).............

...oh and if you want restaurant recommendations, I eat out at least once a month, so have a pretty good list of some very high quality establishments. Some pricey, some average, all amazingly good food though.

OT. Hey Gravey, just out of interest, is Swains resturant still going. Awesome crays when I was there years ago for the GP.

Thanks for all the info and feedback guys, greatly appreciated :beerbang:

Gravey- i'm all ears for some restaurant recommendations, anywhere in particular you can recommend?

Well pretty much anywhere on Gouger is going to be good. Look up some of restraunts I list and see what fits within your price range

Gouger St.

Celsius (degustations only on Saturday $ has won chef of the year and contempory restaurant of the year)
Star of Siam - Thai
Mapo - Vietnamese (coffee pork belly FTW - 2012 Chef of the year)
Gauchos - Argentinian (famous for their steaks)
Matsuri - Japanese, looks dingy from the outside but is awesome and relatively cheap. I think its the best in town (they actually have some decent Japanese craft beer as well)
British India - a british take on Indian...technically on Morphett St - pretty good but not the best Indian in town

Elsewhere in the CBD or close by

Jasmin - THE best indian in town
Chianti Classico - one of (if not THE) best Italian in town
Chloe's - French ($)
Auge Ristorante - Italian.....havent actually eaten here yet, but has won loads of awards over the years
Assaggio Ristorante - on my list, havent gotten there. Winner 2012 Hospitality & Catering Awards Restaurant of the year

There are plenty of others too, but these are the ones I have been too and can personally recommend, except the last 2, which are just on my list of places to go.

Havent heard of Swains Feldon...I dont do a lot of seafood places, other than Japanese. I always save my Cray fix for when I go to Robe and get it from the source, caught that day. When I'm in the Sth East I eat a tonne of seafood, so good out there. Sammy's at Holdfast Shore is pretty good, though its been years since I've been there. Oyster Bar on East Tce is pretty good for cocktails and an Oyster fix....its pretty much next to The Botanic Bar.

Highly recommend lunch at Lobethal Bierhaus. If you end up in McLaren Vale then do lunch at Vale Ale, its definately on-par with Lobethal and they not only have Vale Ale, but also a lot of other craft beer in bottles. They should also have their cider on tap and if you're lucky one of their EXP beers. If you want to go all out in McLaren Vale then D'arrys Verandah is the way to go...its attached to Darenburg Winery Cellar Door. Fino's in Willunga (next to McLaren Vale) is also one of the best restraunts in the state and pretty much anywhere on Main St, McLaren Vale is good for a feed really.....except the chinese place, lol.

The Oyster Bar and also Zucca (greek) which are both at Glenelg are awesome....

Good timing I'll be at a conference in Radelaide in the first week of December. Staying at the Meridien hotel on Melbourne st North Adelaide. Looks like a 12 min cab ride to The Wheatsheaf.... But is there anything good / worth checking out around my hotel?

If you're at the wheatsheaf and want something to eat. Walk to the corner of south road and George st then walk two blocks north to the corner of south road and ross st. There is a Afghan Bakery in an old deli. Get a double meat roll for $7.5 (equivalent to a yiros) or one of the kebabs if you're feeling really hungry.

Good timing I'll be at a conference in Radelaide in the first week of December. Staying at the Meridien hotel on Melbourne st North Adelaide. Looks like a 12 min cab ride to The Wheatsheaf.... But is there anything good / worth checking out around my hotel?
Your local would be the Lion, also on Melbourne St. A beautiful large pub, and I believe their beer range is expanding howeve I haven't been there in a while. Also you're a short walk from Adelaide Oval, although I'm not sure they would be doing tours at the moment as the whole place is a construction site.

Back