Craft-brewer, Home-brewer, Cheap-skate Or Wanker?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a "Wanky" article.
After having read it I've decided I'm just a" Traditional Beer Maker" with a keen interest in Malt, hops, yeast , water and the history of melding them into beer.I feel quite lucky to be alive at this period in the history of beer, with all the info and superior ingredients available, I cant help but :D

L.T

I'm a homebrewer -- aspiring to craft, so that could make me a wanker.....

grant

I got into brewing for cheapskate reasons, but quickly learnt it was easy to make good beer for slightly more input both in effort and ingredients. I love the convenience of having a range of beers on hand and the pride that comes with the whole process from the first washing up to downing a bottle of tasty chemical free beer. Not needing to fork out cash at the bottle-o is an added aside but I'd rather buy megaswill than drink filthy homebrew.

Not to mention I've never had a hangover from drinking homebrew. More than I can say for any other beer I've overindulged in. I guess I would classify myself as a homebrewer - I enjoy making good beers but I don't and can't be bothered to obsess over too many details. I have a fair few things going on as well as brewing and so far I'm contented with what I'm producing. That's not to say I'm not interested in learning more!

Yep,

I am right handed and have my mouse on the left side of the computer.

cheers

Darren

Total wanker here.

So, what I am reading is that the majority of contributors to this thread are self-confessed wankers.

If (and it could be a big if) we are representative of all AHB members and by extension all homebrewers, does that mean that all homebrewers are wankers? :D :D

The cheap-skate in me lured me to the home brew world about 6 weeks ago, and although I am still patiently waiting to crack my first batch (trying to give it two months in the bottle) I'm finding the more Brews I lay down the more interested I become in the process and the more I want to experiment. Hoping to move from my current wanker status towards Home-brewer and ultimately become a Craft-brewer. I have a feeling the closer I get to my goal, the less of a cheap-skate I will need to become.

The callouses on my right hand aren't all from wielding a mash paddle thats for sure....

Not a craftbrewer, because as far as I'm concerned its not really a craft unless its being done by a 63 year old woman in an odd smelling shop located in a small country town; and has a piece of gingham attached to its top with string

I get more beer than I can drink for free anyway & still choose to brew at home, so I guess I'm not a cheapskate

I brew & I do so at home, so I guess I'm a homebrewer.

Seems logical to me

Thirsty

I am but a lowly fermentation assistant.

I don't care what you or my wife call me . I'll be in the shed!

I consider myself as a craft brewer..answer to no one but my on palette. Brew my own beer....Faaark the rest....
I answer to my own ....Like to have a go at a Comp.....let it ride for a while..until I get my methods under control.

Good Day
This issue has been debated on mass for the last 15 years or more. My final/current decision is that I am an obsessed home brewer, I brew at home. All cricketers are cricketers regardless of their ability, drive and motivating reasons. Home brewers are also many and varied.
By the way, the cost savings is just a wonderful bonus. :beer:

All cricketers are cricketers regardless of their ability, drive and motivating reasons.

Ever heard the saying 'if you cant be a cricketer, at least you can look like one' ? :p I use it all the time on team-mates that get a duck...

Ever heard the saying 'if you cant be a cricketer, at least you can look like one' ? :p I use it all the time on team-mates that get a duck...

Is that like the drummer who just likes hanging around with musicians?

purchase top-quality commercial beer (Deschutes, Sierra-Nevada, Stone, New Belgium and a hundred others) for $6 a 6 pack, often $20 a slab, on special.

Come to think of it, I don't know a single brewer the world over who brews only for cost.

If I could buy a slab of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for $20 I'd sell off my brew gear tomorrow :)

Geez, BevMo, have fat tire and SNPA for 24.99 a slab, not even on special!

For me primarily it's a hobby. I'm a pretty good cook. Brewing is similar to that for me. A man's got to have a hobby. what better hobbies to have but ones that provide good food and beer?

Cost is only minor consideration, though buying "imported" beer certainly hurts onced you've brewed at home.

Has to be cost for me at the moment as I am off work and not being paid (AWA). Not sure my wife would buy all the megaswill I used to drink for me.
That being said, I am enjoying the new ingredients (to me), that are around and the help from this site in making hopefully much better beers than I have before.
Oh, and after my recent surgery, wanking is not an option :ph34r:

Homebrewer here. Nah, to be honest I cross between both Homebrewer and wanker.
And I'm fairly sure the biggest wankers in the home/craftbrewers community are those who don't consider themselves to be at least a bit of a wanker. That probably applies to pretty much anyone really.

Latest posts

Back