Craft Beers At Dan's With Known Ibu's?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carniebrew

Brewvy baby, brewvy!
Reaction score
Gotta head to Uncle Dan's tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone knows of any quite hoppy craft brews where the IBU of that beer is advertised?

I'm asking because i'm keen to get a handle on hop levels, always been a weizen fan but the last few years have seen me crossing over to the hop side. I'd love to get a taste for what a commercial 40, 60, 80 IBU beer tastes like in terms of bitterness so I have a base to design my recipes around.

I've just tasted my first DSGA brew and it's hoppier than I expected (but still bloody good), the recipe suggests it should be around 32 IBU, and it could be, but would like to compare.

If it was me I'd just grab a selection of things that look or claim to be high in hops, and then come home and look them up.

If it was me I'd just grab a selection of things that look or claim to be high in hops, and then come home and look them up.
Thanks, I was thinking that, so have been surfing Dan's website and picked out beers such as Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra (American IPA) and Gage Roads Sleeping Giant (English IPA). The former has 65 IBU's on the SN website, but Gage Roads don't advertise theirs. I'll work through them all one by one to see who lists their IBU's.

i think you would struggle to find even one bottle at dans with an ibu number on the label . which is a pitty because, like you are asking , it would be good to compare. just get five different pale ales, and five diff indian pale ales and try them all in one sitting and you will soon get a good idea of bitter units , usually the higher the alc % the higher the bitterness . many on here use a guide of matching the og with the ibu when making recipes for example ,
og - 1060 ibu - 60,

i think you would struggle to find even one bottle at dans with an ibu number on the label . which is a pitty because, like you are asking , it would be good to compare. just get five different pale ales, and five diff indian pale ales and try them all in one sitting and you will soon get a good idea of bitter units , usually the higher the alc % the higher the bitterness . many on here use a guide of matching the og with the ibu when making recipes for example ,
og - 1060 ibu - 60,
Ok, here's the IPA's at Dan's that have IBU's on their maker's website:

American IPA:
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra - 65
Vale IPA - 41

English IPA:
Brewdog Punk IPA - 45
Tower 10 IPA - 70

Haven't been able to find an Imperial IPA (like a Dogfish Head 90 minute) as yet. There's Figjam and mountain goat IPA's at Dan's but their BU's aren't listed on their websites. And i'm not even bothering to check the IBU's of the Brewdog "Sink the Bismarck" IPA 'coz it's $199.99 a bottle...

there's four great beers right there mate :icon_drunk: isnt the tower 10 from the states ?

Gotta head to Uncle Dan's tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone knows of any quite hoppy craft brews where the IBU of that beer is advertised?

I'm asking because i'm keen to get a handle on hop levels, always been a weizen fan but the last few years have seen me crossing over to the hop side. I'd love to get a taste for what a commercial 40, 60, 80 IBU beer tastes like in terms of bitterness so I have a base to design my recipes around.

I've just tasted my first DSGA brew and it's hoppier than I expected (but still bloody good), the recipe suggests it should be around 32 IBU, and it could be, but would like to compare.
Rate beer site or ap usually records IBUs

Trying other beers with known IBU levels is a good learning experience, but make sure you pay attention to the malt balance and other flavours and how they effect your perception of bitterness. Some malts will really help balance high bitterness where otheres will increase the bitterness of the beer. Same thing can happen with yeast character.

Another thing is labelled IBU is often calculated which isn't all that accurate and depends on your system. the best way to learn about the beers you are brewing is to brew beers on your system and adjust bitterness and flavour accordingly. Trying other beers helps learn without brewing a full batch each time, but you will learn the most about brewing beers on your system by brewing on your system.

Trying other beers with known IBU levels is a good learning experience, but make sure you pay attention to the malt balance and other flavours and how they effect your perception of bitterness. Some malts will really help balance high bitterness where otheres will increase the bitterness of the beer. Same thing can happen with yeast character.

Another thing is labelled IBU is often calculated which isn't all that accurate and depends on your system. the best way to learn about the beers you are brewing is to brew beers on your system and adjust bitterness and flavour accordingly. Trying other beers helps learn without brewing a full batch each time, but you will learn the most about brewing beers on your system by brewing on your system.
Top call, and I will certainly do that as I go along with my brews. I have noticed that many of the BIG hop beers i've been looking at are also high abv beers, such as IPA's with 7% abv. So that's going to taste fairly different to an IPA with similar IBU's but at 5.2%.

Still, i'll be drinking craft beer, so happy days.

Four Pines have the IBU's on the label.......can't lay my hands on a bottle ATM but Im pretty sure they're all listed on the website.....Murrays may be as well...

Residual sweetness and malt profile makes a pretty big difference but it's still good to try. SN Torpedo to me doesn't taste like 65, sure it's bitter and a little out of balance towards bitterness but it's not as bitter as you might expect.

Anyway from what I know SN PA is about 35 and little creatures PA,MB Alpha the same. If you can find Hoptimum (Slowbeer and some other places) then that's 100 IBU

Feral Hophog - 48 IBU
Holgate Hopinator 76 IBU

Probably more and no idea if things are at Dan's... after some experiences with things that should be well handled at Dans I prefer buying beer from indie bottleo's

Yeah, I know 4 Pines have the IBU's on the bottle. The Pale Ale is 35 and the Kolsch :icon_drool2: is 22. They also have IBU's and ingredients for their beers on the website. I'd say grab something that takes your fancy then look up their website. Some breweries have the IBU's etc listed on their sites.

Try the Ballast Point Big Eyes. Dans stock them and 75 IBUs according to the website. One of the best beers they stock in my opinion. http://www.ballastpoint.com/beers-of-balla...ny-ipa-big-eye/

Big +1 from me bought a carton for Xmas and it is half gone already. Tower 10 and SN Torpedo not far behind.

The BB Figjam is 70IBU from another thread and Punk IPA although made in Scotland is actually an American IPA style, yummy though.

IBU's aren't an exact indicator of how much hop character is going to come through in the beer. I have had 150 IBU Imperial IPA's that were sickly sweet, and have had a 22 IBU Pale Ale that was one of the most insanely hoppy beers I have ever had.

Depends how much malt is balancing it out.

Picked up a Sierra Nevada "northern hemisphere"wet hop ale,from my local Dans,IBU comes in at 66 :icon_chickcheers:

Back