Craft beer tax axed in federal budget

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been in breweries for alot of years and the price point is good click bait, but it misses the mark.

- better ohs for keg handling throughout the chain
- higher keg turn at smaller turn venues - less chance of beer sitting around
- variety

Majority of US is sixtels. For growlers, refilling seems to be passed over with this budget. So best for brewers to fill inside thier excise area. I think growlers are over rated, they always get raised but my trade in 500ml cans was 4 times growlers as folks could mix and match. I think it is a becoming a non issue

Last edited:
Yes, but that's the change.
The current excise for any given AbV-% bracket is different about that 48 litre mark.
The mark is set to change from 48 -> 8 litres.

So my point is, most "bottles" (mini-kegs etc.) will still be below 8 litres, and thus have no change in excise.

Whereas currently small kegs, firkins, etc. (20, 30 litres) that are less than 48 litres are taxed the same as "bottle" sizes. If/when this law passes, they will move into the lower-excise bracket.

I could imagine the single use mini-kegs going from 5 litres to 8 litres to jump tax brackets.
Indeed. 8l minikegs could be a huge innovation in this scenario. for example a case of beer (24 x .33 cans/stubbies) comes in at about 8 litres. With the proposed excise change you could realistically be looking at a difference of round 10 dollars less for 8l sold in a minikeg rather than bottles.

Given the big 2 are pretty aggressive i would be suprised if they didnt exploit this pricing difference.

Heiniken for example allready have the blade system which is 8l. And these setups have an internal bladder so they use compressed air to keep them pressurized without oxidising the beer.

Last edited:
Part of this has come true

Excise Amendment (Supporting Brewers and Distillers) Regulations 2018
These regulations amend the Excise Regulation 2015 to extend the alcohol manufacturers excise refund scheme cap from $30,000 to $100,000 per financial year.
Item was modified on 23/11/2018
www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L01597

Good start, but havent heard anything on the volume bracket being dropped, does anyone have anymore info on that?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back