Craft beer exists so guys who don’t drink wine still get to be prete

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sp0rk said:
Furries, Bronies, Religious Folk, Beliebers, Janoskian Fans, One Direction Fans, the list goes on
I need to get out more. I got no idea who your talking about in that list.

I got no idea who your talking about in that list.

Chess fans. Definitely chess fans.

But I also love well aged wines. I still have a pretty decent cellar full of them, going back to 1995 vintage.
And I'm pretty good at describing them, having read copious wine books, magazines, and colums over the last 40 or so years.

The article just seems a stir to me to get a reaction. After all, what material can there possibly be to make up an article about the average Aussie megaswill?

Happy to called by whatever label others want to throw around. I choose not to be a victim to others' drivel.

What caught me is that beer snobs are apparently mostly engineers and IT professionals. What would that real proportion be? I'm thinking SFA.

Craft beer exists because.......

It just does. I've got my own reasons, sure plenty of other brewers have their own reasons for making beer. If I don't like your shitty beer it's because I don't like it. If that makes me a beer snob then bring on the hat and monocle. Capital Sir, Capital!

I thought it was pretty freakin funny !!!!

I know I am guilty of ear bashing my mates about hops, malts, carbonation levels and the like.
If anything I took it as a hint to pull my head in and just enjoy my beers and let others do the same.

I got a great laugh out of it.

….doughnut chocolat peanut butter banana ale… hahahahahaa !!!

TheWiggman said:
What caught me is that beer snobs are apparently mostly engineers and IT professionals. What would that real proportion be? I'm thinking SFA.
There was a poll done here a few years ago on what we do for a living. Damn near three quarters of us were IT workers or engineers. Hell even my monthly local brew club meetings are held in a software company headquarters office.

phoneyhuh said:
There was a poll done here a few years ago on what we do for a living. Damn near three quarters of us were IT workers or engineers. Hell even my monthly local brew club meetings are held in a software company headquarters office.
Berserk! That said, of the brewers I know 4 are engineers and 2 blue collar. I'll reserve my occupation for the polls.

I get looked at as a 'discerning drinker' because I drink Old at the pub. It's like being back at school when everyone else has peanut butter but you've gone for Vegemite.

Now that I think about it I reckon the difference is understanding and being involved in the process. Once you make your own beer, you appreciate everything that goes into it. Suddenly you're noticing hop aromas, distinguishing malts and trying to pick exactly what went into it. I actually smell beers now. SMELL them. Most beer drinkers just drink it and wouldn't know whether it's made from grains or beer trees.

You make it, you respect it, and you enjoy it differently. It becomes interesting. But for people who just want to drink it, why would they care? Sucks for them though because they'll never know the varieties out there or what they're missing out on.

"The craft beer movement started with such noble intentions: simply to make a pleasant beer, one friendlier than the tastebud-bashing domestic drafts Australia is so renown for."

"These poor chaps never seek to convert the standard larger drinker to ale."

Those two lines are interesting.

The larger? drinker I wager is drinking ales, and the tastebud-bashing drafts? Assuming that means VB on tap at the RSL, it's far from tastebud-bashing. Rather a too clean lager. Suck my pretentious refractometer Jack! :beerbang:

unclebarrel said:
….doughnut chocolat peanut butter banana ale… hahahahahaa !!!
I actually bought a bottle of that...
(on SWMBO's insistence)
For those who don't know, it's referring to Rogue Voodoo Doughnut - Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ale
It's still sitting in my bottle cupboard, haven't had a chance to crack it open yet (along with the maple bacon ale)

When the luck is on your side
Sore feet reign supreme
Then look right
The shodow grips and it's not the truth
Moro the same
It's only a name
It's inky stinky shamon breath
Opening up
The only ...

Shiraz bitxhes

brewtas said:
Anything you enjoy is worth talking about whether it's music, sport, beer or whatever. I can't see why some sensory experiences should be off limits from conversation while others are ok. As if talking with someone about a movie you watched is fine but talking about the beer you're drinking is a completely different thing. It just comes down to knowing how to relate to others properly and knowing when it's appropriate to speak. The problem with a craft beer wanker isn't the beer, it's the wanker who doesn't understand how to interact with others.

Exactly!

The person you're talking to lacks social skills to begin with.... and instead of addressing that issue, it's sooooo much easier to just blame his choice of topic as the reason you're bored/offended etc...

Pretty much the same concept that drinking forces overly aggressive and attention seeking people with no real social skills into punching random people on the street to prove that they're able to affect other peoples lives and thus force recognition upon themselves..... perfectly logical!

nuff said

I've taken to buying a round of something nice on my shout. Everyone comments on the difference by themselves and don't mind knowing the origin of the beer so they can find one on their own next time. Most travelled people still associate beer styles and flavours with location/s. It's easier to tell them it's an American hopped brewed in oz and let them make their own decision about how citrusy or pig's arse sweaty it tastes!

I've copped more comments, strange looks and the like from megaswill drinkers that I've ever given them. If you drink another beer, you're not a real man(yes I can grow a beard).

Leave megaswill for the masses so I can drink my crafties, without the government trying to tax it more than they already do. Having said that, if beer pretentiousness gets the tax breaks wine pretentiousness does, then maybe it's a necessary evil.

Back