Crab Cooker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerking

Reaction score
HI Guys ,

I am about to try my first all grain ( BIAB) on the weekend. I have purchased all the gear including a 40 lt crab cooker (rays $115.00 Stainless) . I have been playing around with recipes on Beersmith and the BIAB calculator and both estimate that i will be left with between 3-4 lts of trub after the boil . My problem is the Crab Cooker does not have a tap at the bottom and I am assuming i don't wont to put this amount of trub into my fermenter. Whats the best transfer method ? what do you do?
Any advice would be great .

Cheers Leigh .

HI Guys ,

I am about to try my first all grain ( BIAB) on the weekend. I have purchased all the gear including a 40 lt crab cooker (rays $115.00 Stainless) . I have been playing around with recipes on Beersmith and the BIAB calculator and both estimate that i will be left with between 3-4 lts of trub after the boil . My problem is the Crab Cooker does not have a tap at the bottom and I am assuming i don't wont to put this amount of trub into my fermenter. Whats the best transfer method ? what do you do?
Any advice would be great .

Cheers Leigh .

You sure it is stainless? Aluminium buildUnless you got another unit? Will need to be sure when you select your cleaners... but Aluminium is a better heat conductor.

I suggest you whirlpool at the end of boil and either siphon or put a ball valve tap in the side of it.

After giving a good whirpool, syphon with a piece of hose. Keep the hose towards the outside of the boiler because the process of whirpooling puts all the trub etc in the middle if the vessel. Heaps of info on here about whirpooling. After a couple of times, I'm sure you'll cut a hole in the side and add a tap. Much easier. :beerbang:

Jazzafish ,

It is aluminium ,same as your link . My mistake .

These work a treat with a couple of metres of silicon. Auto Siphon

109_1176.JPG

After a couple of times, I'm sure you'll cut a hole in the side and add a tap. Much easier. :beerbang:

I have been siphoning the wort out of my pot for the last 6 months or so and have had enough. Went out and bought a ball tap to put in the side, anything to make it easier. Will be drilling and installing when I get back from holidays. What do you guys suggest to seal it?
Cheers.

I have been siphoning the wort out of my pot for the last 6 months or so and have had enough. Went out and bought a ball tap to put in the side, anything to make it easier. Will be drilling and installing when I get back from holidays. What do you guys suggest to seal it?
Cheers.

I've tried a few ways, IMHO the easiest / best is one of these http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2842

Check out my site (in my sig) under 'fitting a tap' for a how to

QldKev

I've been siphoning since day dot. All i use is a piece of silicon hose from craftbrewer and a big bull dog clip to hold it in place.

i cant find it on theyre website but grain and grape sell a lock nut that is recessed and fits a silicone oring in it. its what im using and has worked pretty well so far.

I got a stainless steel nipple from Blackwoods

paid the local stainless steel kitchen fabricator $20.00 to weld it in for me.

Works great. I can unscrew the ball valve tap on and off for cleaning. nipple.jpg

i cant find it on theyre website but grain and grape sell a lock nut that is recessed and fits a silicone oring in it. its what im using and has worked pretty well so far.

check out kegking.com.au they have the cheapest stainless and biggest range of fittings i've found. They've got a shopfront out dandenong way. I bought a stack of recessed lock nuts, hose barbs etc not long ago. No affiliation btw, just a happy customer.

JD.

check out kegking.com.au they have the cheapest stainless and biggest range of fittings i've found. They've got a shopfront out dandenong way. I bought a stack of recessed lock nuts, hose barbs etc not long ago. No affiliation btw, just a happy customer.

JD.
+1, I got my ball valve setup from kegking (except for the valve itself which I already had). It seemed like the cheapest and easiest to pick from at the time.

Would have thought the logical thing to do would be to drill a hole and fit a piece of threaded pipe through with a nut on each side. Some sort of seal would be necessary like a rubber ring cut out of an old tyre for example.
For cleaning the whole thing could be taken out. No mucking around trying to clean out a welded in fitting.

Tap that shit. As much as the siphon is great the tap and a pick-up tube is a hell of a lot easier to use. If your not confident I'm sure someone local can help.

I originally had a rubber o ring and a nut to seal mine. It melted. So silicon O ring is probably the better option

Back