CPBF Recommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm in the market for a counter pressure bottle filler as a Christmas present for myself. Anyone have a recommendation as the best available for $150 or less?

Cheers
Chap

if you are already set up for kegging, a $5 carb cap with a barb and hose does the job perfectly

That T shaped one is a pain in the arse to use, so unless you're filling glass bottles the simple carb cap is a better choice.

Just did some bottling today, can confirm it's a messy and complicated job but it does work. It really depends if you want to drink out of glass or whether you don't mind drinking out of the PET plastic.
If you don't mind the PET the carb cap is the go (I'm considering giving it a go myself after squirting beer all over the kitchen today) - was not particularly popular with the fairer half...

Thanks for the replies all. I do already have the carb cap for PET bottles but am looking to bottle into glass.

On a side note I have also found the carb capped bottles don't seem to hold their carbonation very well ie a few days to a week and they're flat. Is this normal or could it be I need to improve my bottling method? Any tips/links to threads on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chap

The first time you use any of these devices you squirt beer all over the shop (and some times your missus, though she made oaked stout look very scary when wearing it), once you get it down pat it's actually quite quick and clean.

Yep it's not too bad once you get going (I did 12 glass bottles in about half hour today), but the gear is fiddly and requires careful sanitation. The cleaning is the time consuming bit. Stopped at 12 bottles because the baby woke and we had a kitchen half painted in black sticky stout ... pushing my luck.

It works well though, can pull out a bottle a year later and it's good as gold.

I use one of the Chinese copies of the Blichmann beer gun. I put a rubber bung on it with a tiny hole drilled through the top so I can use it as a CPBF. Same idea as in this video but with a cheap Chinese Blichmann gun.

Thanks for the replies all. I do already have the carb cap for PET bottles but am looking to bottle into glass.

On a side note I have also found the carb capped bottles don't seem to hold their carbonation very well ie a few days to a week and they're flat. Is this normal or could it be I need to improve my bottling method? Any tips/links to threads on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chap

Must be technique issue. I have bottled into PET from keg using carb cap, replaced carb cap with plastic lid & stored for weeks. When beer is drunk it’s as though it was just drawn off the keg

Must be technique issue. I have bottled into PET from keg using carb cap, replaced carb cap with plastic lid & stored for weeks. When beer is drunk it’s as though it was just drawn off the keg

I didn't know there was a 'technique' as such other than having the bottles the same temp as the keg. I attach the cap with the tubing at the bottom of the bottle, twist open the cap enough to start the flow, fill til some foam comes out the top, remove gas disconnect, remove carb cap and put the cap on. Is this right? What's the best way to do it?

I didn't know there was a 'technique' as such other than having the bottles the same temp as the keg. I attach the cap with the tubing at the bottom of the bottle, twist open the cap enough to start the flow, fill til some foam comes out the top, remove gas disconnect, remove carb cap and put the cap on. Is this right? What's the best way to do it?

Make sure that you use a tea towel or similar to ensure the bottle caps are fully tightened, I had the same issue with some bottles until I started doing this.

Have it at the same pressure/purged before you start, go slow in the beginning. It is generally clean but brewing brings out the catastrophe in me.

Latest posts

Back