Cpa Style Brew - Comments + Advice Appreciated

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
(edit, whoops, make the title CSA!)

Hi All,

I've taken the plunge and got 25kgs of LDME, 1kg of POR, 5kg dex and 500g carapils. The idea is to get some quality volume brewing done and then move onto some other recipes.

Moving on from my other thread where I got some great feedback (link) I'm after comments on my brew that I plan to know out tomorrow night.

Using Ian's spreadsheet I've tried to go for the CSA IBU (from what I could gather) and use some dex to ensure it's not too malty but still has the CSA kick.

Keep in mind this is for a 40L final

I'm interested in comments about:
- hopping schedule (note: 9.8% AA is what they were from brew shop in Clayton)
- use of carapils - any harm?
- yeast - I've got 2 x 1L with around 10 stubbies of Coopers yeast. I saw that the WPL023 is used as a replacement for the Coopers yeast, didn't know what to select for 'Yeast' in the spreadsheet.
- OG/FG - as I am brewing only a 23L concentrate but my final brew is 40L what OG/FG readings should I be looking for?

CPA-1.jpg

cpa-2.jpg

an idea of how much yeast I've got reharvested - at least 10 stubbies between them, left bottle since Thursday, right bottle since Saturday. Both are 1L with just the extra beer from the bottom of the bottle + 100g of LDME + pre-boiled water (didn't step up though, started at 1ltr due to ignorance at the time!):

IMG_4332.jpg

Best of luck with that yeast quantity, I usually culture up three tallies sediment. Three are usually at Liquorland for $16 so better value than VB but to get the slurry I have to pour gently and drink them in one hit. Oh the humanity :mellow:

However when you do pitch yours, I expect the yeasties will fire up fairly quickly but try and keep them about 20 degrees.

CPA is mostly yeast and hop driven so with your ingredients you should make a fine drop.

Edit: Carapils, fine

Best of luck with that yeast quantity, I usually culture up three tallies sediment. Three are usually at Liquorland for $16 so better value than VB but to get the slurry I have to pour gently and drink them in one hit. Oh the humanity :mellow:

However when you do pitch yours, I expect the yeasties will fire up fairly quickly but try and keep them about 20 degrees.

Thanks Bribie, I've edited my post again, I have about 10 stubbies worth of yeast between the two. How can I determine if I will under/over pitch?

Yep, got a temp controlled fridge so was going to keep it between 17-18c.

(edit: after fermentation is complete) I'll be transferring to two 20L jerries, bulk priming and bottling.

In terms of pouring gently, I recently discovered 425ml beer glasses - perfect for coopers stubbies :)

Mrmalty's yeast calculator will probably say you're underpitching.

1L starters into each 20L jerry can should be fine.

Enjoy!!

Mrmalty's yeast calculator will probably say you're underpitching.

1L starters into each 20L jerry can should be fine.

Enjoy!!

I'm going to ferment in the 23L tub, and after fermentation rack to secondarys, add water, prime and bottle.

will grab the calc and see what happens (probably should have kept a proper count of how many stubbies)

using Mr Malty, for reharvested coopers yeast - should I be using 'liquid yeast' +'intermittant shaking' OR repitching?

Back