Cp Filler Mkii

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
My counterpressure bottle filler evolves to the next level:

brewiki: CPF MkII

cpftaps.jpg

Looks great Sosman although the "manipulating" the bung bit <_< I could see myself slipping and then there'd be one hell of a gusher - beer volcano :D
Looks like a really good cheaper option.
Hoops

100% SOS design the beta version and I must say WOW not a bubble came out of solution took 30 min to make (thats after drinking) and about $35

I have tested it in 2 bottles and been drinking from them tonight as a test and my god what a dream

Thanks sos for the design and parts list etc
its a winner

note: beer goes straight through to the bottle (top to bottle) and gas on the side. you pressurize the bottle, bleed it if you like (comps and long term) then close the gas, open beer line and nothing is come out (due to equal pressure, then you move the bung depending on the flow required, you can fill fast and still no loss in beer CO2)

beer_005.jpg

the full deal you could make them what ever length you want, this way the keg stays in the fridge and minimal hassle to bottle a beer for comp or party :)

best $35 i spent

beer_006.jpg

good work guys.looks like its now another toy to build. ;)

one quick question though.once pressured how long do you have to cap before loosing pressure outa the bottle.would hate to cap and open later at party and find flat bottle of beer.

cheers
big d

Go the whole hog and make a full CPBF!!

DSC01298.sized_1_.jpg

big d said:
one quick question though.once pressured how long do you have to cap before loosing pressure outa the bottle.would hate to cap and open later at party and find flat bottle of beer.

cheers
big d
BD,
The trick is to have the beer as highly carbonated and cold as possible in the keg.
I have never had any trouble simply pouring the beer slowly from my pluto tap.
So long as the carbonation in the kegs is adequate the flow is slow and it trickles down the side of the bottle, little or no carbonation is lost.
If you bump or splash the bottle though then the beer will come out in a gush.

I'm wondering when you pull the tube from your CP fillers out of the bottle do you get formation of bubbles and frothing?

cheers
Darren

Another good way to fill bottles from kegs is to use the picnic tap that Goliath "Goatshagger" Dave and Mark sell for $20. I saw it used the other day at a friends place and it is so easy to use and is inexpensive, plus the carbonation stayed in the bottled beers.

C&B
TDA

Picnic tap $9 at Grain and Grape. $2.50 from the states. Anyway, I can fill bottles successfully with the picnic faucet, throw the bottles in the freezer for 10mins, lower pressure in keg and give 2psi of pressure to push and then fill with the bottle angled over and quickly cap. Works well but I'm going out today to buy the parts for a proper CPBF like Hoops' one with the third bleed off valve.

Q1. Where did you guys find those long tapered bungs? HBS?

Q2. What diameter s/s tubing did you use for the filler Hoops (or others)? I know you need 2 different tube sizes, one to pass through the other so that you can bleed gas off the top of the beer and nnot just shoot beer to the other side of the room, but what sizes did you use? 3/8" and 1/4"? (Yes, beer line would work with just a bung but I might make a s/s tubed one).

Thanks, Justin

JD
1. The bungs come from LHBS.
2. The 2 tube sizes are 1/4 and 3/8.
3. For your bleed valve you really want a needle valve to let the CO2 out SLOWLY. A ball valve can be manipulated successfully but a slip up means a beer volcano.
Hoops

Darren
You do get some bubbles forming around the tube when you pull it out, but if you pull it out carefully there is no froth. If you move the tube around alot then you get some loss of CO2.
Hoops

Thanks Hoops, i actually have access to a wide variety of needle valves so following your recomentation I'm going to use one now. I didn't even think about using one for the fine control it allows. Appreciate your recommendation.

Cheers and thanks. Justin

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
Go the whole hog and make a full CPBF!!
Or you can save some cash and make one that works just as well :)

Honestly, the controlled fart around the bung is easy to control.

However full-on your CPBF is, I recommend using a flexible tube (eg BEVA) into the bottle - this way you can fill a variety of bottle sizes.

big d said:
once pressured how long do you have to cap before loosing pressure outa the bottle
CO2 only slowly comes out of solution (same as in a glass of beer). The problem is if you have foam in the bottle, when you release the bung, all the gas expands and sends the foam all over the place.

Also if you release pressure abruptly, it is a bit like cracking a coke can on the ground before opening it.

sosman said:
However full-on your CPBF is, I recommend using a flexible tube (eg BEVA) into the bottle - this way you can fill a variety of bottle sizes.
I use 1/4" SS tube and if I need to fill taller bottles I push on a short length of tube.

Back