counterflow chiller recommendation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsonAd

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good one? Not many around so also interested in where to buy one.

You could go down the path of a plate chiller but take it from me they are a PITA to clean and there is always a doubt in your mind as to wether it still has bits of brew gunk still in it.

This is what I would be going for if I were to use another counterflow chiller, or you can buy a copper one for a few dollars cheaper.

I personally use an immersion chiller for ease of use and cleaning.
In the summer I circulate chilled water through it to drop the temp the last 10 deg or so and you may well have to do that as well depending on the temp of your water supply even with a counterflow chiller.

I also switched from a CFC to an immersion/whirlpool chiller. I just got > 5 gals down from 100C to 19C in about 15-20 min on the weekend, and only used ice water for the last 5 min. And our water isn't terribly cold up here in NW NSW.

Immersion chillers also have some other advantages in addition to sanitation, cleaning and cost.

Thanks guys. I discounted the plate chiller option because I brew a lot of hoppy beers. I'm still considering the immersion chiller option but thought the CFC would mean less water use. I know there are thousands of posts on benifits of both and looked at the JZ immersion whirlpool option but as I BIAB in an exposed element urn that has thinish walls I didn't want to fiddle around drilling holes and am also concerned about damaging the element with the immersion chiller and my clumsyness. Still open to all possibilities but thought CFC would provide easiest quickest option..

I have the copper version of the one that Dicko posted and have had it for ten years. Great bit of kit, the stainless one was not around when I bought mine and it looks the bees knees!

I sanitise mine with one of those hand held steam cleaners, perfect.

Thanks John. Do you think you could potentially sanitised it by simply running the boiling wort or water through it for a little while.

Also do you pump the wort or just gravity feed?

Yeah boiling water would work, but the best way to kill things is big swings in pH with temperature, so run something alkaline through followed by something acidic, say caustic soda first followed by star-san.

Mine is just gravity fed....you can see the copper CFC mounted below the final shelf at the right, I just connect it to kettle at end of boil and let it flow.

CFC.jpg

Good results with plate chillers, most of my brewing mates have them with no dramas. They probably don't suit a gravity setup though

I know this is an old thread I’m rousing but any further updates in the past few years on recommendations on counter flow chillers?

I have previously used a large plate chiller with awesome efficiency ( able to chill 80 litres of boiling wort to pitching temp in a single pass under 5 minutes) however have managed to get hop trub stuck in it. As many times as I try cleaning it I still keep getting hop debris coming out of it so pretty much going to cause infections every time if i use it. I like the fact that on a counter flow chiller there are no real corners for gunk to get caught in and it should be much easier to clean after use.

I know this is an old thread I’m rousing but any further updates in the past few years on recommendations on counter flow chillers?

I have previously used a large plate chiller with awesome efficiency ( able to chill 80 litres of boiling wort to pitching temp in a single pass under 5 minutes) however have managed to get hop trub stuck in it. As many times as I try cleaning it I still keep getting hop debris coming out of it so pretty much going to cause infections every time if i use it. I like the fact that on a counter flow chiller there are no real corners for gunk to get caught in and it should be much easier to clean after use.

Not the cheapest but this is probably the best type as it is fully copper.

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/copper-counter-flow-wort-chiller-comes-with-hose-fitting

Latest posts

Back