Counter Flow Wort Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I currently use the immersion chiller that comes with the Robobrew but am considering a counter flow chiller.

Would I see much of an improvement in terms of water required to chill and time taken to chill everything being equal?

The immersion chiller works fine but performs much better if I stand there and move it around and I get bored very quickly so looking at other options.

Any thoughts and pros/cons on these ones:

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/stainless-steel-counter-flow-wort-chiller-comes-with-hose-fitting

http://kegking.com.au/copper-counter-flow-chiller.html

cheers,
cliffo

Hi Guys,

I currently use the immersion chiller that comes with the Robobrew but am considering a counter flow chiller.

Would I see much of an improvement in terms of water required to chill and time taken to chill everything being equal?

The immersion chiller works fine but performs much better if I stand there and move it around and I get bored very quickly so looking at other options.

Any thoughts and pros/cons on these ones:

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/stainless-steel-counter-flow-wort-chiller-comes-with-hose-fitting

http://kegking.com.au/copper-counter-flow-chiller.html

cheers,
cliffo
You will probably use a lot less water than an immersion chiller . I currently whirlpool with my immersion chiller to get it as close to pitching temp as I can and go through nearly 100lt of water. With the counter flow you will use a lot less water and it will be quicker . If anything I would go for the Keg King chiller as it is copper for copper as you know absorbs the heat quicker.
Cheers
Hermies

I originally had a copper immersion and it was ok. I converted it to a counter flow similar to the keg king one you linked and it was my favourite for ease of use, cleaning and water required. I managed to break it and couldn’t get the fittings locally to fix it (UK copper and fittings)

I bought a 30 plate chiller and it’s been a great replacement once I made a simple CIP to clean and sanitise it.

If I was looking now I would try the keg king one. If it is similarly comparable with a 30 plate as they claim and at $89.95 it sounds a bargain.

I have never tried a plate chiller, tiny crevasses scare me. The SS CF as you linked would be my bucket list pick, and lets face it, buy once cry once.

I have never tried a plate chiller, tiny crevasses scare me. The SS CF as you linked would be my bucket list pick, and lets face it, buy once cry once.

Your correct, the distance between the plates of a plate chiller are around 1mm. That's the thickness of a credit card, wort passes up one side down the other up to 30 times (30 plate chiller) You think you will never lodge a bit of hop or yeast in there? You think you can clean it out every time? Plate chillers are an infection waiting to happen, got rid of mine.
Back to the trusted immersion chiller, but water is not a problem for me either.

Attachments

• imagesaaaa.jpg
    imagesaaaa.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 228
  • indexaaa.jpg
    indexaaa.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 189
Thanks for the input guys.

Decided to go with the convoluted SS number.

Looks well put together so should be a buy once proposition.

Your correct, the distance between the plates of a plate chiller are around 1mm. That's the thickness of a credit card, wort passes up one side down the other up to 30 times (30 plate chiller) You think you will never lodge a bit of hop or yeast in there? You think you can clean it out every time? Plate chillers are an infection waiting to happen, got rid of mine.
Back to the trusted immersion chiller, but water is not a problem for me either.

Couldn't agree more. That's why I am half way through a parallel CFC build.

I moved away from a plate chiller to no chill into 23 litre kegs, but I want to be able to cool and start fermenting immediately sometimes....and the complication around hop utilisation in no chill. Good to have an alternative.

See you, Anthony

Latest posts

Back