Counter Flow Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SG9090

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone uses a counter flow chiller, if and how do you make adjustments to utilization.

I use one and it takes around 12min to pump through and chill 60L. Thats a fair while for a fair amount of wort to be sitting near boiling.

Beer tastes fine tho would like to be more accurate. Not experienced enough to call a beer 45IBU or 55IBU.

Cheers,

Shane

Maybe you could recirculate the cold wort back into the kettle for a little bit to drop the temp of the entire wort so the hops aren't having bitterness extracted?

Just wondering if anyone uses a counter flow chiller, if and how do you make adjustments to utilization.

I use one and it takes around 12min to pump through and chill 60L. Thats a fair while for a fair amount of wort to be sitting near boiling.

Beer tastes fine tho would like to be more accurate. Not experienced enough to call a beer 45IBU or 55IBU.

Cheers,

Shane

Cheers,

Shane
IBU's normally are calculated in your recipe profile. 12 mins is not going to be a great factor in your IBU final calcs.
What I do for a finishing hop is to leave the wort to cool for say 5-10 mins chuck in my finish hops/whirlpool and chill, in my case run it through a glycol chiller into fermenter at pitch temp.
You can chill enough to not affect your IBU's and ferment it out. If you find it too bitter after maturation drop back on your hop bittering. Bit of a suck it and see situation. remember keep good records so you can adjust with some accuracy.
Nev

Cheers,

Shane

12 mins to chill 60 litres is excellent

i dont think the 12 mins will affect the outcome by much

even an immersion chiller will take a few mins to drop below isomerisation temps, and in this time you have already completely chilled a % of your brew

Back