Council Pick Ups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledgenko

Reaction score
I am a fan of these things .. not sure how much they have spread across Aust .. but awesome for the scavenger / hoarders ... but seriously.. WTF ... is with people who go through your pile and make a mess of it ?? Bloody disgraceful .. also those bastards who just go around cutting power cables so working machines are rendered useless ... more damn land fill ... and the best as yet people who scavenge at night under torch light ??

Yes ... a rant ... but fridges, kegs and other pieces of brewing equipment always seems to be picked up before I ge to ransack these piles !!! BAASTARDS ...

I am not sure if it is just because it annoys the shit out of me that people make a mess of my front yard or they don't have the balls to do it during the day !!!!

RANT complete !!!

I put an old drier and BBQ out for our last collection. Within 10 minutes some old crusty dude in a clapped-out ute had them loaded on and was speeding off down the street....!

I did manage to score some old chemical drums (one is now my party keg setup) and a 10L Stainless Urn (works!) which will become my new heat exchanger when I upgrade from the current HERMS!

Cheers

I am not sure if it is just because it annoys the shit out of me that people make a mess of my front yard or they don't have the balls to do it during the day !!!!

i always just ad my pile to the neighbors at night, then no mess on my yard :lol:

i noticed it was on in the Carindale / Coorparroo area in BNE this week, all the scrap metal sea gulls where getting around

I think they are great, reusing is better than recycling.

I did read that the police/council can actually charge you for theft if they so desire. It sounds crazy but it actually belongs to the council.

Last year in my council area, a guy took a vacuum cleaner and the police arrested him. Until everyone kicked up a stink, they didnt press charges...

Only downside is when people decide to add their hard rubbish to our pile (we live on a corner block so often someone will create a new hard rubbish pile on the other sire so we have two). If they were even slightly neat, it would be OK but a lot of it is just dumping shit all over the place haphazard like.

I love it when people take stuff we are throwing out -recycled, less of a pain for us, etc. I often do it when it's not hard rubbish time and am glad to see the stuff disappear after a day or so. I have also grabbed a couple of worthwile things from other piles.

Don't make a mess of it, don't be noisy and it's not a problem.

Its quite a sight when all the S**t shoppers are out in there vans with trailers...You know who the dedicated ones are because they have the head mounted lights on...So both hands are free to search through your crap at night...!

cmy mate does it! last time he turned it in. $600 back in his pocket

still good bargains to be had. scored my fishing net that way

Seen one bloke in Stanley Road I think.Had table and chairs out,must have been good stuff as he put a tarp over it.

Bastards around my area drive around cutting the power cables off electrical devices.

I always feel inadequate when people go thropugh my pile, and nothing is good enough for them to take. :(
Scored a pitchfork (metal head only, no handle) and 2 x 1/2 rolls of house wiring (one 2 core and a roll of earth wire) from one neighbour's pile last time. He also had about 1/2 dozen milk crates (brew stand?) but I didn't want to empty them out and make a mess so I left them. If I had a bigger car (station wagon) I'd have scored a couple of spare wheelbarrows too.

I often do it when it's not hard rubbish time and am glad to see the stuff disappear after a day or so.

Yeah me too. I had a slimline fridge in my shed that used to house bottled stock and yeasts etc... But the bloody thing never turned off due to needing a regas, and it must have been costing me a fortune.

Put it out on the end of my driveway and later that day some dude from up the street who turned out to be a fridgie, grabbed it. Told him about its problems and he wasnt fussed. Probably got it regassed for nothing. I didnt really need the fridge anyway so it was a win win situation.

One of my favourite weeks of the year.
I still remember riding round with my mates when I was a kid scavenging parts for our bikes and cubby houses and whatever else we wanted to build.
We used to call it scabfest.
Got some pretty sweet stuff in the last few years as well.

we had our road recently resurfaced and the council put sign's up,someone flogged the sign's,few week's later in the local paper was a story that they caught him and fined over the theft....

I heard this guy once robbed a bank and got caught and was sent to jail.

Someone's gonna get a bargain!

Whenever I get new furniture I just put the old stuff out the front and its gone within a few hours.

I had an old fridge and oven to get rid of the other day and rang a bloke that had an advert on the gumtree website. He was there in less than an hour. I've seen him driving around before when there is rubbish out and he picks up anything metal. I think that scrap metal is about $200 tonne. At a guess he would make at least $400 every week just by driving around after work and picking up fridges, washing machines etc.

Latest posts

Back