Council Pick Ups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, in it's infinite wisdom(?), the Sunshine Coast Regional Council has ceased doing the annual pickup day. This initially brought sighs of relief from many ratepayers tired of seeing the footpaths littered with shit until they realised that the scrapping of pickup day brought extra $$$$'s to the Council as we all now have to pay exorbitant dumping fees to get rid of our old white goods, etc.
My (two-chair) beer garden owes it's existance to pickup days long gone. If you are lucky enough to still have a pickup day then be happy! ;)
Beer_Garden.JPG
TP

years ago when I lived in a share house in a fairly well-to-do area we scored heaps of awesome shit. Recliners, 4 seater couch, hammock, a few rugs, some free weights.. furnished the entire house and put our ratty old furniture out for collection instead.

My council doesn't do hard rubbish collection days. It sucks balls.....Our dumping fees are well and truly fucked. We're talking about $45 or thereabouts to dump a full dual cab tray worth of shit....

The people that work at the dump are furious about the fees. They have to deal with everyone's reactions each time they go to work, and they agree, the rates are way overpriced.

People are gonna start doing "hard collection days" by themselves if they keep going up.... ;)

My parents live in souther suburbs of RAdelaide and they seem to have one every time i go up there.

Last find was a birko over the side immersion element...

recentish pick up when I went to collect some tallies off Wolfy... nice area for HR day.

1.JPG

I miss HR in my local area but seem to be able to get enough steel for my builds from the kerb still... currently building a 6ft gate from a bed frame and some steel framed tables ;)

I live in Footscray - Maribyrnong council dont have a designated day/week, but you can phone them and arrange pne pick up per year. It's kind of redundant anyway because shit you leave on the nature strip lasts a good 5 minutes before someone yoinks it. I left a kids wading pool (hard plastic) a few weeks ago and I think someone's GPS beeper went off because 10 minutes later it was gone. No worries, but the pricks left the rest of the hard rubbish strewn across the nature strip. I think I'll set a rabbit trap next time.

I think they are great, reusing is better than recycling.

I did read that the police/council can actually charge you for theft if they so desire. It sounds crazy but it actually belongs to the council.
I hate the vultures we get with their vans/flashlights making a mess of everything and stealing all the good stuff. Kills the normal re-use by the neighbourhood and kills my chances of spotting something useful. You've spoilt pickup fest ye buggers.

Mining it all for commercial gain seems more like theft to me but I'm just bitter because they always, without fail, make a total mess of your neat pile of stuff, leaving it strewn everywhere for me to clean up once the council have been.

I put an old drier and BBQ out for our last collection. Within 10 minutes some old crusty dude in a clapped-out ute had them loaded on and was speeding off down the street....!

nothing wrong with crusty dudes in clapped-out utes trawling through council tossout. More productive when you have a trailer too. Next time can you clean the BBQ for me first mate. :p

Wasn't HR day but i scored a 50" flat screen tv the other day on the side of the road. The guy said it worked and surprisingly it did. So now i got a massive flatscreen in the man cave :)

ekul, I hate you!

Had one recently. Chucked out a broken dishwashed. Less than 1 day ut had gone. Lol, its brojen douches. I even wrote broken/dead on it. Soneone took draws from a chest of draws. Th chest wasnt thete but they took thep draws. I got pissed when sone fuckers messed up the pile.

Bugger that its ilegal to scavenge but there r reasons.

My council doesn't do hard rubbish collection days. It sucks balls.....Our dumping fees are well and truly fucked. We're talking about $45 or thereabouts to dump a full dual cab tray worth of shit....

The people that work at the dump are furious about the fees. They have to deal with everyone's reactions each time they go to work, and they agree, the rates are way overpriced.

People are gonna start doing "hard collection days" by themselves if they keep going up.... ;)

My parents live in souther suburbs of RAdelaide and they seem to have one every time i go up there.

Last find was a birko over the side immersion element...

My council tip allowed a rate payer to dump white goods for free as the steel was recycled, that was 4 years ago. Then they started charging $15.00 per refrigerator or freezer because this money was to be used to pay someone to de-gas the appliance and no CFC's would escape into our atmosphere. I didn't like it as I had to chuck three fridges in as many months, but I took it as we all know it's the best thing to do.
Now I have found out that to this day they still run the things over with a dozer and dump them in the scrap steel. NO Degassing at all. :angry:

Batz

in city of whittlesea we dont have a designated pick up day but can call a couple of times a year for pick ups. ive put plenty of stuff out but have never had to make the phone call yet because it always dissapears within a day. the best was putting out a couch and three young blokes came and grabbed it and walked it down to the local skatre park about a k down the road.

When I shared a house with a couple of mates we found a near pristine 3 seater by the road. Weren't really sure if they were actually chucking it out or airing it, needlessly tried the bell, got no answer and it goat loaded on top of my car, held on by one person each side, crossed the train lines and got moved between 2 places before someone put dibs on it when we all moved out. It's still there I reckon. Heavy bugger.
Haven't seen hard waste up here though. I was even told that the tip doesn't allow people to scavenge stuff anymore over here. Some Queensland thing?

in city of whittlesea we dont have a designated pick up day but can call a couple of times a year for pick ups. ive put plenty of stuff out but have never had to make the phone call yet because it always dissapears within a day. the best was putting out a couch and three young blokes came and grabbed it and walked it down to the local skatre park about a k down the road.
Most councils in victoria give u 2 hard rubbish pick uos a year. U calk em up telk wm which week u want them to pick up and tbey come and get it. Its great. But im sure our fees.are a bit higher

My council tip allowed a rate payer to dump white goods for free as the steel was recycled, that was 4 years ago. Then they started charging $15.00 per refrigerator or freezer because this money was to be used to pay someone to de-gas the appliance and no CFC's would escape into our atmosphere. I didn't like it as I had to chuck three fridges in as many months, but I took it as we all know it's the best thing to do.
Now I have found out that to this day they still run the things over with a dozer and dump them in the scrap steel. NO Degassing at all. :angry:

Batz

That is totally illegal and in direct contravention of the Kyoto protocols to which Australia is bound.
Cheers Altstart

My neighbour left some kids scooters and bikes on the front verge, which we quickly nabbed for our own kids. I just assumed that his kids had grown out of them. Wasn't till a few days later that we found out that his kids had been riding their scooters up and down the driveway and had forgotten to put them away. He was such a nice guy about it that he wouldn't hear of us returning the scooters, so we gave him a bottle of wine and the kids some presents.

Anyway, I'm a big advocate of scrounging through hard rubbish.

I am a massive fan of the council pick up ... just the mess that gets created ... Last night ... they came a scroungin .... (I left the G out on purpose - 1 ... it makes Scroungin sound nasty and dirty and 2 .. well I have never found a clitorous .. but never mind) ... made a huge mess of cassette tapes ... took the cases but left tape like Anne Murray behind .. what were they thinking???) .. took the antique 130 yr old french doors away faster than I could have put them down ... poured out the contents of a fish tank - excluding dead fish !!! and threw streamers across the yard !!

It is just a PITA ... I scavenge with the best of them ... but at least keep it neat peeps .. don't ruin it for all of us ... and please in future .. leave full beer kegs out with gas and quality craft beer not that VB shit !!! thanks OBH .. 4 kegs .. Yeah !!!

I am a massive fan of the council pick up ... just the mess that gets created ... Last night ... they came a scroungin .... (I left the G out on purpose - 1 ... it makes Scroungin sound nasty and dirty and 2 .. well I have never found a clitorous .. but never mind) ... made a huge mess of cassette tapes ... took the cases but left tape like Anne Murray behind .. what were they thinking???) .. took the antique 130 yr old french doors away faster than I could have put them down ... poured out the contents of a fish tank - excluding dead fish !!! and threw streamers across the yard !!

It is just a PITA ... I scavenge with the best of them ... but at least keep it neat peeps .. don't ruin it for all of us ... and please in future .. leave full beer kegs out with gas and quality craft beer not that VB shit !!! thanks OBH .. 4 kegs .. Yeah !!!
What need do you have for another clitorus ?
Nev

Latest posts

Back