Could you or have you had too much Nelson Sauvin?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattmedia

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers, recently I have purchased a fair amount of Nelson Sauvin Flowers, and am thinking of making an extremely hopped IPA with them, and I was thinking of doing a 90min constant addition with these, at 15g every 10min, on top a fairly simple base, probably 90% pale and 10% amber, much like the Dog Fish Head IPA clones you can find on the internet.

I guess the real question is, has any one around here tried anything on the high end with this hop, and had any bad results? I don't mind it being very bitter, as it will be fairly big, probably 1.06 - 1.07 (depended on efficiency), so it will keep for a little while.

Any discussion would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would be very careful with lots of straight NS it is one of those hops you either like or you dont. Even people who like it don't necessarily like heaps. To comment on how your particular recipe would taste we would need the full recipe. Volumes, IBU's etc.

I did a SMaSH with nelson (a slight alteration from Ross's recipe) and it was an absolute winner. Then i tried a different brew with amarillo (75% nelson, 25% amarillo) however it was supposed to be 75 amarillo and 25 nelson. It was bitter as hell and overpoweringly 'nelson-esque'.

Like Rowy said though, be really careful with it. It's a hop that can stand on it's own very well. Use the right amount of it = awesome. Use too much of it = Woaaahhhh overload. If hopping late or dry hopping tone down your additions a bit cause it's one of those 'less is more' types :)

Personal preference/taste though, i'd prefer the more grassy and citrus type IPA's such as fugglese and cascade for example. I think a single hopped Nelson IPA would probably be for a more selective kind of palate :kooi:

good luck with it anyway mate

I was never really into Nelson Sauvin until I tried Kooinda Black IPA. Everything about that beer is fantastic, and it's hopped exclusively with NS.

I made a clone based on an AHB recipe that will be ready to drink by Friday. Fingers crossed. :lol:

I loved it. And loved it. And loved it. Then one day I never wanted to smell or taste it again. Same with amarillo. NS is a great hop until you are an idiot and OD on it due to poor brewing choices.

I think Nelson is a fantastic aroma hop and have used it many times........It also can be quite overpowering so be careful how you use it. I find it is absolutely wonderful in the 20 to 5 min range of the boil. If used super late and dry I find it gives a huge amount of gooseberry and sav blanc wine flavour that can be ........interesting or shit house depending on your personal opinion..

Ordered some hops today. Glad I shied away from these at the last moment after reading this. My supply atm consists of mosaic and galaxy. So ordering a couple of less extreme hops was a good move.Something for the future when the freezer holds more options.
cheers.

wereprawn said:
Ordered some hops today. Glad I shied away from these at the last moment after reading this. My supply atm consists of mosaic and galaxy. So ordering a couple of less extreme hops was a good move.Something for the future when the freezer holds more options.
cheers.
NS is one of the first hops I experimented with.
I've made a few good beers with it, and one beer that needed to be thrown, but let's blame the brewer for that one.
I think it could be easy to overdo, but if you go with Ross' Summer Ale on the Recipe DB you're off to a good start.

I love the way that Nelson gives a special flavour to sweeter beers, such as the Little creatures pale ale style. A sweeter more caramel flavour it seems to complement, but not in huge quantities. Love the hop but it needs to be used in moderation.

I love NS. But like everyone else says, in moderation. I know there have been some successful commercial beers where they've combined NS with other hops. My personal experience though I've found that NS doesn't play well with others...

Ross' NS summer ale was the first brew I made, and it tasted great. A few brews later I repeated the same hopping schedule (plus an additional dry hop) with a 60/40 pale/wheat malt bill (as opposed to the almost 100% Maris Otter in the original recipe), and it was shit. Tasted like white wine and feet.

So my advice would be that if you're loading up on NS, the grain bill really needs the balls to back it up.

I do a Kooinda black IPA clone with buckets of Nelson and it's a cracker. Nearly always on one of the taps here. Drinking one over the last couple of weeks and putting another in the fermenter in two days.

blackipa3.jpg

Try a search for Punkin's Cascadian there's a pretty long thread on it.

I also have lots of kegs of Ross's Summer Ale over the warmer months and they go down a treat. Seems like you like it or you don't, but i haven't had anyone try either beers and say they don't like em.

Punkin's clone is the one I was talking about. :D Will be cracking the keg Friday afternoon ...

Looks like you've changed up the recipe though? Version I made was the one with chocolate and Victory malt.

Love Nelson, but I've always used the gently-gently approach with it. Except for one 10 minute 100% pils at about 25IBU. That was actually an interesting beer. It did taste like I'd made white wine without the tannins.

It plays well with Cascade (think fat yak), Citra, Chinook and Galaxy. But again, with Galaxy I'm a bit gently-gently.

I tend to use one fruity hop with it, one resinous hop (Chinook) and if I could be bothered, something else to add an extra dimension.

I also hate it as a bitterer at 60 minutes plus. But Ross' NS Summer Ale is so highly rated (and I've tasted it on tap, it's a good beer) that it might be the brewer as well.

If you want it big, make sure the malt bill backs it up.

slash22000 said:
Punkin's clone is the one I was talking about. :D Will be cracking the keg Friday afternoon ...

Looks like you've changed up the recipe though? Version I made was the one with chocolate and Victory malt.

Sorry, yes that's the current No Chill recipe, but the vienna should be victory.

So I guess the general consensus is that Nelson is rarely ever a foot note, and more than often over powering.

Punkin you also have one with Crystal 120 floating and a tiny bit different percentages, like 81% pale.
What is the right one? Or better one?

I used Nelson Sauvin with Cascade in my first AG APA many years ago, early, late and dry-hopped. I found, as others do, that the Nelson is very potent and needs to be used sparingly, especially late and dry hopped. I found it had a very harsh "grassy" flavour when used dry hopped.

However; I recently made a batch of Ross's NS Summer Ale for a party with a full 90g pack of NS, 20L brew with no dry hopping, and it was one of the best beers I've ever made.

Totally agree, Nelson is a BEAST! Love it though, did a Nelson/Cascade Ale and the poor cascade is almost non existent! I do love the flavour of Nelson though, love the gooseberry and almost juicy flavour it gives :icon_drool2:

Back