Could this brew poison my Father in Law?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Ninja

Reaction score
Making a kit beer today, come time to top up the fermenter to 23L I did my usual routine of hooking up a food quality hose to the kitchen tap and left it filling the fermenter. As the level rose to 11L I realised that I had the newly fitted new fangled mixer tap running hot water..... The temperature of the wort was 36c. Switched to cold, put it in the fermenting fridge and let it cool to required temperature and pitched the yeast.

Problem is, the hot water was from the solar tank on the roof. Can't bacteria live and breed in these tanks?

Am I at risk of poisoning my Father in Law (the brew is for him)

Should I pour it down the drain?

Advice appreciated!

Does the solar tank have a booster on it?

If the water gets to above 65C then it should be safe.

Anyway, the yeast, hops and alcohol should fix it ;)

YMMV, IANALawyer/Doctor/Biologist

If your trying to poison the father inlaw just add some arsenic. Easy!

Do you want it to?

Short answer is no. If its safe to drink its safe to brew with. I mean obviously its not safe to just drink out of the hot tap... that could get painful.... but you know what I mean. All domestic water heaters (solar or otherwise) are designed to keep the water safe for consumption.

you and the F-I-L would have to be unlucky

does M-I-L drink? unfortunately mine drinks wine...

Stux said:
Does the solar tank have a booster on it?

If the water gets to above 65C then it should be safe.

Anyway, the yeast, hops and alcohol should fix it ;)

YMMV, IANALawyer/Doctor/Biologist
Hi Stux yes, it has an automatic booster. I just turned on the tap and ran it at a similar flow to when I filled the fermenter. The temperature was 62c - 63c.

Airgead said:
Do you want it to?

Short answer is no. If its safe to drink its safe to brew with. I mean obviously its not safe to just drink out of the hot tap... that could get painful.... but you know what I mean. All domestic water heaters (solar or otherwise) are designed to keep the water safe for consumption.
Tanks Airgead. Any idea how domestic water heaters keep the water safe for consumption. Is it to do with the booster?

Yep. As long as its kept over 65 its fine. That's what the booster is for on a solar system. On a hot day, the tank temp will easily be over 65 (solar heats to 2.5x ambient temp or thereabouts... so on a 30c day, the tank will be around 75). On a cold day, the booster makes sure.

If you think about it, they couldn't install a water system in a house that wasn't safe for consumption. As soon as you added hot water to something in the kitchen everyone would get sick.

Most houses now have a mixing valve to keep your hot water temp down at the tap to reduce scalding injury anyway. The water from the solar will be fine, it has chlorine in it just like your tap water and is crazy hot before mixing through the valve.

Beer can't harbour human pathogens so if it gets fermented, it shouldn't do him any harm unless you hit him with the bottle afterwards.

manticle said:
Beer can't harbour human pathogens so if it gets fermented, it shouldn't do him any harm unless you hit him with the bottle afterwards.
I use PET bottles. Father in Law brought round a couple of boxes of Grolsh bottles recently.

There is a choice to be made here then.... ;)

PET for FIL, Grolsch bottles for you....thanks Dad.

Using filtered water may be worth looking at the water in the tap may be safe to drink but not the best for brewing .

wynnum1 said:
Using filtered water may be worth looking at the water in the tap may be safe to drink but not the best for brewing .
I already do wynnum1, on the end of the aforementioned sink hose is a kitchen water filter :)
There's a thread about it Here

Probably not removing bacteria Ceramic Water Filter Candle seem to be for bacteria but are slow.

Back