Costly Lesson Learnt....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
while heating my keggle for the mash today i decided to let the it sit without flame for a minute or two, as i suspected the temp kept rising.
i turned the heat off at 69 degrees after a quick stir and checked it again after a couple of minutes....73deg . damm it .
decided to keg the stalled ferment brews from the previous brew day anyway and the result is a very sweet xxxx gold clone with no bite at all and a euro lager with same, must of converted the malt into dextrinous sugars instead?
fg was 1018 and 1022 so the lager is around 2. something percent alc.
think i might fertilize the lawn with it. :angry:
i only found this with my upgraded 3 ring rambo burner, i think the built up heat is transferring from the bottom lip of the keggle as this is getting way hotter than the liquid inside. today i let the mash water drop back to 69 so hopefully all is well again.

I take it you BIAB?

Either way, 69 is quite high. Try 64-65 next time for you non-ale beers.

Cheers.

sounds like it was the strike for mash in to me. in my biab setup i lose 3-4 degrees at mash in wich from 69 would give 65-66. as for the op i use a three ring and medium pressure reg and find after turning off the flame the temp will rise a couple of degrees so i always give it a few minutes to stabilise before mashing in.

I take it you BIAB?

Either way, 69 is quite high. Try 64-65 next time for you non-ale beers.

Cheers.
69 was desired strike temp, biab so mash temp was to be 65-66.
64-65 would be mash temp?

Latest posts

Back