Cost Effective Thermowells

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw

Reaction score
I need to add DS18B20 temp probes to my HLT, Kettle, and Mash Tun outlet.

For the tun outlet, I've been looking at the Gryphon brewing setup he uses for his HERMS kit, i.e. putting a T piece between tap and camlock, and using a short BSP thermowell.

Parts list would be: T piece, thermowell, and presumably a hex nipple to connect Tpiece to tap.

Does that sound like the way to go for the tun, or is there a better way of doing it?

When it comes to the kettle which is a converted 58L keg - thinner walls than a CUB keg., could I just use the same thermowell fashioned into a weld-less bulkhead style fitting with a washer and nut inside & out? The HLT would be along the same lines.

Alternatives I've looked at (for the MLT and kettle) include buying pre-made temp probes like this and compression fittings like this. That comes to ~$30 plus shipping, so it's a bit more than the Gryphon option, but includes the sensor and the cable.

Cheers,

Jon

I need to add DS18B20 temp probes to my HLT, Kettle, and Mash Tun outlet.

For the tun outlet, I've been looking at the Gryphon brewing setup he uses for his HERMS kit, i.e. putting a T piece between tap and camlock, and using a short BSP thermowell.

Parts list would be: T piece, thermowell, and presumably a hex nipple to connect Tpiece to tap.

Does that sound like the way to go for the tun, or is there a better way of doing it?

When it comes to the kettle which is a converted 58L keg - thinner walls than a CUB keg., could I just use the same thermowell fashioned into a weld-less bulkhead style fitting with a washer and nut inside & out? The HLT would be along the same lines.

Alternatives I've looked at (for the MLT and kettle) include buying pre-made temp probes like this and compression fittings like this. That comes to ~$30 plus shipping, so it's a bit more than the Gryphon option, but includes the sensor and the cable.

Cheers,

Jon
Feel free to contact me to discuss your options, I can work most things out in a few emails.
Nev

what do you need to display the temp?

Have a search for "Matho's controller" or Braumiser (they're the same thing). It's a microcontroller (Arduino) based unit built from (more or less) off the shelf parts that does a bunch more than displaying temps, i.e. it controls a heating element, a pump , and somewhat automates a process flow.

Definitely M10 thread on that sensor, it did come with the nut as well...

Back