Cortez's Brew Stand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice rig, mate. Just curious about the rubber insulation... is it some kind of paint? It appears to be hugging the contours of the keg so tightly, it's hard to imagine what else it could be. Cheers

The kegs are the rubber coated like here http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com/2011/...-in-sydney.html

The top and bottom chime are also rubber

The actual stainless is very thin and the rubber lining is probably 8mm on the sides

I recall reading somewhere that many breweries were decommissioning their rubber kegs as they are prone to non visible dents in the stainless - meaning they could not be filled to the 50L capacity

Also the rubber handles were perishing rendering their movement (while full) awkward

Cheers

nice work man

liebe_99.gif

Cortez ... do you find that having the entire top cut off make it harder to reduce the volume boil off in all 3 vessels?? The reason I ask is that I am building my 3 v out of S/S kegs (obviously legit) and have only cut a small section out of the tops to minimise the amount of heat being released. I have insulated the outside of the tun for example with camp mats and covered the top with the same and the lid too ... the temp loss is negligible..

in as far as the HLT and Keggle ... same thing .. small openings approx 20cm diameter ..

cheers

Matt

Hi Matt

My HLT has probably a 10cm opening on top though I usually keep this sealed as I am able to fill the HLT via outlet

I cut the MT all the way open basically for cleaning purposes, during the mash I sit a piece of camping mat directly on the mash to help with maintaining temps

My understanding is that a larger opening promotes evaporation as vapour doesn't re-condense at the top of the kettle

For this reason I have taken the top (actually the bottom) where the curve commences to achieve better boil off rates

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hey mate, where'd ya get the temp probs for your STC-1000's?

Gday Cortez, was hoping to jump in on the next IBUs bulk buy, am a member on Facebook group but was told I need to jump on the AHB group? Cheers!

Gday Cortez, was hoping to jump in on the next IBUs bulk buy, am a member on Facebook group but was told I need to jump on the AHB group? Cheers!
Hi mate, you have plenty of time but if you're the impatient type I can email you a link.

Latest posts

Back