Corrosion and pitting STC probe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kaiserben said:
Ah crap, sorry, I'd bought them for a Pi controller project. Got a bit mixed up with all the different controllers I'm playing with at the moment.

My Grainfather controller has a stainless sheath (and the controller is an STC200, which I've since replaced with a flashed STC1000.
The Grainfather probe is not a 3435 probe apparently. So the temperature curve for the STC 1000 (and 1000+) doesn't match exactly. Did you swap the probe?

As an aside, 3950 and 3470 10k thermistors are readily available on ebay. But they are not going to give accurate readings on an STC 1000. For those ordering a replacement or getting a 2nd probe in the case of flashing the 2 probe version, get the correct thermistor.

Mattrox said:
The Grainfather probe is not a 3435 probe apparently. So the temperature curve for the STC 1000 (and 1000+) doesn't match exactly. Did you swap the probe?

As an aside, 3950 and 3470 10k thermistors are readily available on ebay. But they are not going to give accurate readings on an STC 1000. For those ordering a replacement or getting a 2nd probe in the case of flashing the 2 probe version, get the correct thermistor.
I kept the same probe.

I hadn't noticed anything abnormal since switching to STC1000+ many brews ago. It boils at ~100C, but now you've got me wondering about accuracy of my mash temps.

So I might buy one of these: LINK

kaiserben said:
I kept the same probe.

I hadn't noticed anything abnormal since switching to STC1000+ many brews ago. It boils at ~100C, but now you've got me wondering about accuracy of my mash temps.

So I might buy one of these: LINK
I just read how someone checked resistances and temperatures and made up their own lookup table to make custom firmware to flash.

I guess the best way is to cross check tempetatures with something like a thermapen.

It is entirely possible that the STC 200's have the same probe, but when he checked it was "individual difference" with his particular probe.

I just looked up a bunch of STC - 200's on Aliexpress. 1 seller quoted that the probe was 3435.

Given they are pretty much all copies of each other I'd say it's reasonably likely that all are 3435.

I might flash an STC 1000 for single vessle use and try out the mash profiles. (But cross check the temperatures 1st)

Back