Corroded Micromatic Co2 Regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barndillo

Reaction score
Yesterday I put my first brew on in a couple of years. I already have a keg setup but just like the brewing havent used it for a couple of years. What I found today while setting up my new kegerator is that the regulator doesn't look healthy. See attached pics.

I think the inside is clean, but there is some corrosion on the inlet.

Is it ok to use it in this condition? If not how the hell do I clean it and do I have to put a service kit through it if I do need to pull it apart?
P2050033.JPG

P2050039.JPG

Yesterday I put my first brew on in a couple of years. I already have a keg setup but just like the brewing havent used it for a couple of years. What I found today while setting up my new kegerator is that the regulator doesn't look healthy. See attached pics.

I think the inside is clean, but there is some corrosion on the inlet.

Is it ok to use it in this condition? If not how the hell do I clean it and do I have to put a service kit through it if I do need to pull it apart?
P2050033.JPG

P2050039.JPG

Im no expert, but i'd say its time for a new one

Just looking at it, at a guess there have been some corrosive chemicals around, Chlorinated cleaner like bleach or acid, there is a good chance it will work but a through clean would be a good idea.
Take the nylon face washer off and remove all the crud with a soft wire brush (I use a brass suede brush from a shoe shop or a fine SS cappuccino machine cleaning brush) try not to get particulates into the body of the reg.
There should be a filter inside the sprue that goes from the bottle to the reg, try not to block that up.
Nothing to lose by trying.
M

Just looking at it, at a guess there have been some corrosive chemicals around, Chlorinated cleaner like bleach or acid, there is a good chance it will work but a through clean would be a good idea.
Take the nylon face washer off and remove all the crud with a soft wire brush (I use a brass suede brush from a shoe shop or a fine SS cappuccino machine cleaning brush) try not to get particulates into the body of the reg.
There should be a filter inside the sprue that goes from the bottle to the reg, try not to block that up.
Nothing to lose by trying.
M

Hey Mark,
Thanks for the advice. As your a supplier I'm glad you gave me something useful and not, 'It's stuffed, but I've got a special on a new one'.

btw, I put on that BIAB brew yesterday. Now happily bubbling away in the fermenter.

I have seen much gnarlier looking regs than that in active service in microbreweries. Seriously, I have seen some that you'd be amazed that they were even airtight.

Give it a clean like MHB said.

If you have the aptitude, take it apart and check the condition of the rubber components (if acid has corroded the body, it might have also damaged rubber components if it has got inside somehow). The beautiful thing about a micromatic is that you can get replacement rubber parts if they are stuffed.

On big reason I had for removing my gas bottle from my keg fridge was condensation forming on my reg setup, they should last many more years dry.

On big reason I had for removing my gas bottle from my keg fridge was condensation forming on my reg setup, they should last many more years dry.

I think condensation is the likely culprit, it spent some time in a fridge last time it was used.

Condensation is the primary reason for regs looking like I mentioned above. Regs in coolrooms.

If that is the case, it should just be on exposed surfaces and the integrity of the rubber should be fine.

As with at least one other thing in life, you want your rubber to work 100%, not 99.9%.

I'd personally be opening it up to check the insides aren't corroded as well. If the insides are stuffed, the first you'll probably know is when you have contaminated beer & even then you wont know if it's your regulator or not.
So there is potentially a fair bit at stake, depending on how you value your beer.

Cheers Ross

Pull it apart and give it a look, you may be able to clean it up. I've done mine before its not hard.

Micromatic_reg.jpg

Back