Correct Filling Level In Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elollerenshaw

Reaction score
My limited understanding is that when filling bottles you aim to stop about an inch from the top.

Have people experienced this level to be important/critical ? What are the problems associated with over-filling and under-filling?

Also, am planning to bulk prime with a syringe into bottles, so am guessing it's better to do this first prior to filling?. . because that makes it easier to achieve the same final height in all bottles.

If your using a bottling wand, just fill to the top, the wand displaces about the right amount of beer to leave the correct level when removed.

If using a bottling wand fill bottles to top then take wand out, fill will be perfect.
Add priming liquid before filling.
About an inch is good.

well to start with "BULK" priming is you add the sugar to a secondary vessel and then rack the beer off the primary into that making sure its mixed then fill bottles from that. To prime is to put so many grams sugar or cubes into bottle then fill from primary (thats not had any extra sugar added after ferments finished)

2 totally different processes dont get it mixed up

I like to stop before beer comes out the top.

Sorry if I've made it complicated.

+1 for the bottleing wand trick. i use a wand and have never had a problem with the level of beer in the bottle, the wand makes them all equall also.

When I pseudo-bulk prime with a syringe I always do it after filling, but that's only because I don't want to have left over bottles with sugar in the bottom. Either way it won't make much difference to the finished beer.

Don't stress too much about fill heights being absolutely precise when bottle priming. It's more important when force carbonating because oxygen elimination is a vital necessity...

If anything you want to overfill rather than under fill, just to keep as much oxygen out as possible. But like I said don't stress too much, a little oxygen is ok because the yeast should mop it up if you are bottle priming, but still try to keep at or above the 1 inch mark.

Just so we sound like we're standing in a cathedral with an echo, you cant go wrong with the wand.

Unless a piece of debris wedges itself in the end and jams it open. You'll probably use some rude words and loose about half a bottle to the floor before you arrest the flow.

That's pretty much how I got started in kegging.

Just so we sound like we're standing in a cathedral with an echo, you cant go wrong with the wand.

Unless a piece of debris wedges itself in the end and jams it open. You'll probably use some rude words and loose about half a bottle to the floor before you arrest the flow.

That's pretty much how I got started in kegging.

I pray this doesn't happen to me....but then again...any excuse to get into kegging is a good excuse :lol:

To fill to the volume specified on the bottle, there should be a number marked on the bottle somewhere. Usually on the bottom or near the bottom rim. This is the fill level in mm from the top of the bottle. On my Fat yak bottles the fill level for 330ml is between 50 and 52mm from the top.

This is why I fill my bottles over a bucket. I still use rude words, but no more beer on the floor.

+1 for a bottling wand.

This is why I fill my bottles over a bucket. I still use rude words, but no more beer on the floor.

+1 for a bottling wand.

Just be sure to empty the bucket if you have a dog that will eat / lap up anything, or in other words a Labrador.
I had the end come away from the cane on one occasion and ended up with about an inch of 8.5% dark strong sitting in the bucket.

When I returned to the garage after a spot of lunch I was greeted at the door by a dog with rubber legs and an empty bucket in his gob.
As funny as a drunken pet may sound, renal failure and death certainly aren't. I've also heard hops can also mean a trip to the boneyard for man's best friend.

Sorry for the OT, but the community service announcement evens it out I reckon.

I can see your problem needing to fill to precise levels because your using a syringe trying to get accurate carbonation levels in each bottle.

A bottling wand isnt going to achieve a precise measure in every bottle and allow you to know exactly how much of your priming solution to inject with the syringe to achieve precise levels of carbonation. (Although it will probably be pretty close.)

If I was you, I would look into 'bulk priming' which will eliminate the need for exact measures in each bottle and enable you to be happy with the 'space the bottling wand leaves' suggestion being made by the group....

P.S - (And also off topic) But whats a good collective noun for home brewers? A gaggle? A stumble? I like 'a stumble of home brewers' although I just made that up.

Bottling wand + carbonation drops works for me. It's too easy. Slightly more expensive than bulk priming in a separate vessel (5c per bottle), but for me it reduces the likelihood of infection and oxcidation and is much easier.

Thanks for the advice.

Only reason I had for using a syringe (psuedo bulk prime) was to avoid potential oxidation when racking into the second fermentor which has the sugar in it. Should I be concerned about oxidation from this additional step?

Either way, point taken about the wand.

If you're careful it shouldn't be a problem, yeast are very good at scavenging oxygen.

Thanks for the advice.

Only reason I had for using a syringe (psuedo bulk prime) was to avoid potential oxidation when racking into the second fermentor which has the sugar in it. Should I be concerned about oxidation from this additional step?

Either way, point taken about the wand.

Yeah just be carefull, mix it as gently as possible i suppose. The yeast should pick up any oxygen that is there during bottle conditioning anyways.

+1 for a bottling wand.

lol i bottle mine over a bucket also, but once i forgot to empty the bucket and the next day i was in trouble off the Mrs because my 18 month old son had found it and tipped it all over himself. she though i was getting him to sample my brews for me. hahaha he would too the little bugger.

sorry for the OT.

Back