Correct Beer Line Length

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Hi all,

just after some opinions if i have the correct length of beer line.

Beer has been carbonated using carbonation chart ie. 65-70kpa at approx 2c which should give me around 2.4-2.5 gas volume, so i am pretty sure it is not over carbonated.

I seem to get a lttle too much froth when pouring,around..... 60% beer and 40% froth, tried different pouring methods etc....have had same issue with all my previous kegs as well.

Using approx 2.5m length of 6mm ID Line, tap is approx 600mm above centre of keg. Beer seems to pour at a good rate though???

appreciate some feedback

what is the kegerator you have ?

drop the pressure down to 15 kpa, burp the keg and let us know what happens ?

Is this only the first beer pour that's bad ?

How is your pouring ability :) ?

What size glass

The easiest way to dispense the beer from the keg is to firstly turn on the gas and make sure the gauge is set to 100 Kpa. Then connect the gas line, with a white gas disconnect attached, to the gas valve on the keg. This is how the pubs dispense their draught beer. This pressure will ensure a smooth easy pour and no carbonation will be lost. It is extremely important to note that the beer line should be 4mm diameter and 2.4 meters long or 3.3 meters long with 5 mm line.

Apart from smooth pouring and uniform carbonation this method also means no more adjusting your regulator as you will be both carbonating and pouring at the same pressure.
from grain and grape article

what is the kegerator you have ?

drop the pressure down to 15 kpa, burp the keg and let us know what happens ?

Is this only the first beer pour that's bad ?

How is your pouring ability :) ?

What size glass
Hi, I have a 140 litre bar fridge with a 23 litre keg.

Dropped pressure down to 15-20 kpa ...sure did fix the problem, but a very slow pour (well I think it is anyway it may be ok)

On old pressure, first pour was the worst but others weren't much better.

Oh, and my pouring ability? yep just that POUR!

Schooner glass size

So i am assuming from this if i leave the pressure at 15kpa the beer will slowly begin to lose gas, so i will need to have a longer beer line to slow the flow down yes?? and if so, how long?

Cheers

On old pressure, first pour was the worst but others weren't much better ...

My POV is that beer foams in most of our setups because we don't chill the bits outside the freezer. The beer is cold, the beer line in the freezer/fridge is also cold but the tap is at room temperature for the first pour. And if your taps are on top of an unchilled post setup then the length of unchilled line is greater.

Cheers ...

ghhb

Is your beer line really 6mm ID? Try switching to 5mm ID good quality beer line and I reckon it'll be problem solved.

For 6mm ID line given all the other info you provided you will need 3.5metres. You could start a little longer and trim until right if you wanted, pain in the arse if you have barbed fittings though.
Nige

I had similar problems and my taps are positioned about the same distance.

I had 2 issues to deal with.

1. I over gassed the beer. - my fault and soon rectified.

2. local expert told me I would have been right to cut the lines so I did. Hrrrmmm bad mistake!!
I rejoined the lines and am now running 5mm ID at about 4m (can't remember exact length now). Pouring at about 70KPA and have had no issues since.

What length?

I'd start at 2.5 meters. If it pours slow and you notice gas in the lines after a while and when you pour it sort of farts out gas at the start, then cut it shorter.

There are ideal line lengths in calculations but it's not always that easy as it depends on a lot of factors. If you are really careful when you pour and only pour into cold glasses and use bronco taps for example you can go with shorter line.

If line is too short it can be harder to pour without foaming.
If line is too long it takes longer to pour and the gas can come out of solution in the lines which can make the first pour seem very different to subsequent pours.

I'd start at 2.5 meters. If it pours slow and you notice gas in the lines after a while and when you pour it sort of farts out gas at the start, then cut it shorter.

There are ideal line lengths in calculations but it's not always that easy as it depends on a lot of factors. If you are really careful when you pour and only pour into cold glasses and use bronco taps for example you can go with shorter line.

If line is too short it can be harder to pour without foaming.
If line is too long it takes longer to pour and the gas can come out of solution in the lines which can make the first pour seem very different to subsequent pours.
DONE! changed to the 5mm ID line at 2.2 meters........problem solved! Thanks to all you guys, great help once again.

Cheers

tonyt, glad you fixed your problem. FYI there is a great article on setting up a balanced system here http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=24

I made the spreadsheet at the bottom of the article.

If anyone can give me the specs of 5mm ID line eg Resistance (psi/ft or Kpa/m or Bar/m) & volume (ie ml per ft or mm/m) I'll update the workbook.

Beers Crozdog

my pouring / constant pressure never gets below 8psi (56kpa),
i try to keep it at 70kpa or 10psi otherwise beer becomes too flat in the keg , yes it's easy to pour at 3 or 4 psi
but you need to keep it around 10psi for correct carbonation level.
i watched the barmaid(well seasoned i might add ;) )at the local pour and noticed that she discarded the first squirt as it came from the tap
and then placed the glass under to pour,she explained her method so i tried this at home and i gotta say this bloody works a treat.
i think it gets rid of the first few mls of "warm" beer so when it hits the glass it's cold and there is less foaming
yeah i know you might waste a pot or 2 in the drain over the contents of the keg but it wasted less than letting it foam over the glass
and into the tray, well worth it to get the right fizz in ya beer.
try it :icon_cheers:

tonyt, glad you fixed your problem. FYI there is a great article on setting up a balanced system here http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=24

I made the spreadsheet at the bottom of the article.

If anyone can give me the specs of 5mm ID line eg Resistance (psi/ft or Kpa/m or Bar/m) & volume (ie ml per ft or mm/m) I'll update the workbook.

Beers Crozdog
Croz,
Strangely enough the spreadsheet I downloaded last August has this info.
I think you may have already added it and forgot you did it.
Cheers
Nige

View attachment crozdog_balancing_table.xls.xlsx

Edit- Attached file.

Croz,
Strangely enough the spreadsheet I downloaded last August has this info.
I think you may have already added it and forgot you did it.
Cheers
Nige

View attachment 43378

Edit- Attached file.

Hey Guys, not sure if i am imagining this, but since i have fixed the foaming issue by switching to the 5mm ID line it has fixed another thing that was annoying me. My regulator was set at 75kpa, and during a pour of 2-3 glasses it would slowly drop down approx 20 KPA before it came back up to the presert 75 KPA, which meant if i only poured say 2 beers would stay at 55-60 KPA
Since the line change it is maintaining the preset pressure.don't get me wrong, I am delighted, but why???

Hey guys,

About to make the switch from pin locks to ball locks, so I thought I might as well change my lines as well.

Now I should preface this with saying that I'm getting a pretty sweet pour at the moment... and I know, "if it ain't broke" etc... but, I have some really nice line that I bought from CraftBrewer, and I'd like to upgrade my line.

Only thing is... in plugging in my data to the "crozdog balancing table" - I get 1.32m required. In reading KegKing's "simplified" chart, they state 2-3m and the Grain and Grape article above states 3m. Huh? There's some pretty big differences there.

If there is anyone who can shed light on: pin lock 19L kegs in a KegKing kegerator (with standard taps), using Valpar FlexMaster II (ID 5mm) line.
PS: beer is usually around 5 degrees cold, and I mainly make US ales, but do dabble in other styles - so probably looking for 2.5-2.6 volumes.

Not answering your question directly but, if they are the same ID and the ones you currently have are pouring "pretty sweet" (in your words) now then why don't you just cut them the same length as you have already?

Not answering your question directly but, if they are the same ID and the ones you currently have are pouring "pretty sweet" (in your words) now then why don't you just cut them the same length as you have already?
This is a good point. Not sure on the diameter that came with the Kegerator. But it's possibly the same, with the difficulty it is getting them onto the disconnects.

The only thing that may be a problem is that the FlexMaster line is supposed to have smoother walls, which should mean less resistance - or less turbulence, at least.

Back