Corona Style Too Dark?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty mac

Reaction score
Just a quicky. Yesterday I made a corona style beer with:
-mexican cervesa kit
-500 gm Light DME
-500 gm dex
-200 gm Carapils grain
-50 gm cascade hops.
I steeped the grains for 30 min. I then strained that and further simmered the wort with 250gm of the LDME and hops for flavour and aroma. Everything smelt great but once I'd filled up to 23L the brew looks really dark unlike a corona at all.
Have I done something wrong? How is it meant to get such a light colour?? :huh:

When you have a lot of wort in the fermenter the density gives it a darker colour.
I'm sure it will be fine, when poured into a glass. Unless you scorched some of the malt which could have caramelised and made the wort a bit darker than you were expecting.

AC

When you have a lot of wort in the fermenter the density gives it a darker colour.
I'm sure it will be fine, when poured into a glass. Unless you scorched some of the malt which could have caramelised and made the wort a bit darker than you were expecting.

AC

Don't think I scorched it. It was just sitting below simmer for 30 min. Too scorch it you'd have to be boiling wouldn't you?

I thought it was better to boil, to get the best out of the hops.

Don't worry about color, most lagers I've made are pretty brown when first put into the fermenter, but come out blonde as expected in the bottle/glass.

Back