Corny Keg Liquid Valve Issue?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
Just wondering - if I shut off gas delivery to a keg and remove the liquid quick disconnect, should beer escape the liquid valve under normal internal pressure (60-100kpa)?

I was just going to swap the bronco over to another keg to taste test, but had quite a shock when this ocurred and I had to reattach the QD and fetch a mop.

Cheers

Just wondering - if I shut off gas delivery to a keg and remove the liquid quick disconnect, should beer escape the liquid valve under normal internal pressure (60-100kpa)?

I was just going to swap the bronco over to another keg to taste test, but had quite a shock when this ocurred and I had to reattach the QD and fetch a mop.

Cheers
i swap beers all the time....
I wowuld suggest you have a faulty post on the keg....maybe a new internalrubber/spring is needed ??

i swap beers all the time....
I wowuld suggest you have a faulty post on the keg....maybe a new internalrubber/spring is needed ??

Yeah I thought I'd just double check I hadn't missed something obvious, as I'm rather sleep deprived. I guess I'll just have to arrange to blow the keg sooner rather than later so that I can repair the liquid post. :D

do you put keg lube on your poppets??? is not I suggest you do! I would also replace the poppet as well and use keg lube on any rubber surface. You could also kit it with high pressure (not ideal but may hold for a short period) I find my lid leaks some times I giggle it and hit it with high pressure and the lube seems to seal it when I vent the gas. Also there maybe crap in there, some times pressing it in a few times helps seat it. I would vent the gass from the keg press the poppet in a few fimes and hook gas up and repeat if its leaking

do you put keg lube on your poppets??? is not I suggest you do! I would also replace the poppet as well and use keg lube on any rubber surface. You could also kit it with high pressure (not ideal but may hold for a short period) I find my lid leaks some times I giggle it and hit it with high pressure and the lube seems to seal it when I vent the gas. Also there maybe crap in there, some times pressing it in a few times helps seat it. I would vent the gass from the keg press the poppet in a few fimes and hook gas up and repeat if its leaking

I always lube up my seals before pressurising. I'm yet to replace any poppet o-rings, but I'd have lubed them too if I did.

I might give you're idea of depressurising and pumping the valve a few times a go first - thanks for the suggestion. Failing that, I'll check out the cleanliness/condition of the inside of the post once the keg is blown and either replace one or both of the poppet and o-rings. Thanks, mate.

yeah the posts are not that big of a drama if they are always connected. But I find one of mine leaks at first but after the kegs empty and I D/C them it seems to hold the gas as it vents off a week later. I also found that some times they dont seat properly and depressing them a few times helps them seat. Also pumping higher pressure in forces them to seal. So few options to go by I would leave high pressure till last as its the liquid out and you dont want a beer fountain lol.

It pays to have a couple of poppets in your tool kit, not too dear. Another annoying thing that can fail is the pressure release valve for no apparent reason. I've got one now, going to give it a good clean up and lube in case there
s some shyte causing it not to seat properly.

yeah the posts are not that big of a drama if they are always connected. But I find one of mine leaks at first but after the kegs empty and I D/C them it seems to hold the gas as it vents off a week later. I also found that some times they dont seat properly and depressing them a few times helps them seat. Also pumping higher pressure in forces them to seal. So few options to go by I would leave high pressure till last as its the liquid out and you dont want a beer fountain lol.

Beer fountains are best reserved for Homer Simpson style dreams... mmm beer.

It pays to have a couple of poppets in your tool kit, not too dear. Another annoying thing that can fail is the pressure release valve for no apparent reason. I've got one now, going to give it a good clean up and lube in case there
s some shyte causing it not to seat properly.

I've got as many repair kits as I have kegs. The pressure release valve? All my kegs are pinlocks, so I'm not sure if this still applies? There's a safety relief valve with a vent in the top of the keg. Do these require maintenance too?

Food grade lubricant; have you been tempted to taste it?

Back