Corny Keg Doesnt Seal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barto1308

Reaction score
Ok, so im brand new to kegging, and havent actually got all my gear together yet to actually pour anything. Btut - I have got 4 kegs which I have washed and sterilized waiting to be filled. One thing I noticed when washing the kegs was that when I half filled them with sanitizer, sealed and gave them a shake, a considerable amount of water was leaking from around the lid seal. The kegs I bought came with a new o-ring set, so I changed the old ones out for the new, with very little improvement - still leaking when tipped upside down.
Now obviously I'm not going to have my kegs upside down in the beer fridge, but does this mean my kegs are not going to hold pressure? Or will a seal be forced once some gas pressure is applied internally from CO2? At this stage, only 2 of my 4 kegs formed a seal straight away, so I am a little concerned...
Any advice from snr keggers?

cheers,

Barto

Ok, so im brand new to kegging, and havent actually got all my gear together yet to actually pour anything. Btut - I have got 4 kegs which I have washed and sterilized waiting to be filled. One thing I noticed when washing the kegs was that when I half filled them with sanitizer, sealed and gave them a shake, a considerable amount of water was leaking from around the lid seal. The kegs I bought came with a new o-ring set, so I changed the old ones out for the new, with very little improvement - still leaking when tipped upside down.
Now obviously I'm not going to have my kegs upside down in the beer fridge, but does this mean my kegs are not going to hold pressure? Or will a seal be forced once some gas pressure is applied internally from CO2? At this stage, only 2 of my 4 kegs formed a seal straight away, so I am a little concerned...
Any advice from snr keggers?

cheers,

Barto

Barto, you figured it out yourself - Pressure will seal.

cheers Ross

It will seal.
But just in case, it is worth checking them with Co2 for leaks before you put beer in them...

I had that problem initially when I sugar primed some of the kegs (don't do that any more, wasted more beer than saved on gas <_< ) and after a few days I was puzzled that some of them weren't sealing at all despite a secondary fermentation going on. On Ross's instructions as above, a quick sharp squirt of gas fixed them instantly.

Also ... check the Relief Valve ... I've had a small number of kegs (2 out of 24) that wouldn't hold pressure only to find that the relief valve was cracked in two pieces! When I took them out they fell apart ... only held together by being screwed into the lid! Replaced them and no problems now.

pressure_relief_valves.jpg

ghhb

Back