Corny keg carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falcon250

Reaction score
G'day all,

Just about to take the step to corny kegs from bottling finally and am wondering how natural carbonation in the corny will go. I have to carb in the keg because I can't afford a forced carb setup yet. I am only doing 9 litre brews at this stage as I don't drink that much, I just love homebrew!.

Any thoughts, ideas or problems encountered by others is always very helpfull for me!

Cheers.

Yep, goes fine. First pour or 2 might have some sediment. I do it semi-regularly if I have a keg to fill and no room n the fridge.

Don't use the same amount of sugar as you would for bulk priming bottles, it will be too much, I think it is the cumulative head space of the bottles being larger than in the keg...?

I use about 100g of sugar in a 19L keg and it seem to go OK. Even if you over shoot it, you can always de-gas the keg a bit.

Great advice Beer God!

As a relative newbie to the site and only having brewed 4-5 kegs so far, I am also looking to naturally carbonate due to lack of space in my kegerator. (Though I have been happy with the force carb kegs so far!)

Is there any benefit to using corn syrup (glucose) for carbonation ? If so what, and how much weight to use for a 19 (5gallon) keg?

Cheers!
Troy

The main benefit with naturally carbonating, is when you are brewing faster than you are drinking, you can have beer on tap and beer carbonating in storage at the same time.

I use dextrose (corn sugar) for natural carbonation. 60g is sufficient for a 19 litre keg.

I use 70g of cane sugar in 19l kegs, adjust to style. You need to have a good seal on the keg when you fill it. I purge with Co2 and leave 20psi in the keg, this doesn't use much gas as it is only to fill the head space.

Does it affect the flavour much when naturally carbing with dex rather than force carbing? Or does the yeast just eat the dex and produce more alcohol and CO2 without changing the taste of the beer?

If it doesn't, then it saves me 24 hours per keg on the gas force carbing. But surely there's a reason why most of us force carb?

I don't think it changes the taste much, you only use a small amount of priming sugar. I think people force carb as they are eager to drink. My last lager was 7 weeks in the keg before I tried it and was clear from the first glass.

Hmmm fair enough. The IPA I just put on my tap on the weekend (and only had the first taste tonight) was a good 9 weeks in the keg I'd reckon, but force Carbed on the weekend.

Back