Corny Aroma In My Fermenting Choc Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevdawg

Reaction score
Hey guys... just a quick one.

Fermenting an AG choc porter at 20c at the moment. It's 3 days into ferment. og 1.060 and now it's at 1.020... a quick ferment... using 1056 which was in a 1.5ltr starter on a stir plate for 24hrs (decanted). 90 min boil in my braumeister, no chilled.

Grain bill was

2.9kg pale ale
0.91 caramunich
0.68 munich malt
0.45 choc
0.23 roasted barley
0.92 coca powder

Anyway, as of today my samples have a slight corny smell to them, and so does the airlock... just wondering if this is an aroma that is just coming from the fermentation or is this DMS? I'm thinking once I CC and keg it'll go? Worried I'll have a corny beer!

Quick edit... smell from fermenter probably more like an egg/sulfur smell... take a sample and it in the glass it's corny slight eggy...

Have you tasted it?
It sounds fine to me, just let its sit for awhile longer, the yeasties should clean up after themselves sooner or later.

how long has it been fermenting??

was it the whole smack pack made into the starter or did you split it?

you shouldnt get DMS with a 90min boil, You may get diacetyl from 1056 and it is common. I think the main coarse is under pitching

If its still fermenting then its prob more the fermenting beer then any of the above. Wait for it to finish and leave it a little longer then normal if its still tasting odd for the yeast to clean up

A lot of fermentation aromas and flavours are slightly unpleasant but will be scrubbed out/driven off by fermentation or reabsorbed y yeast during fermentation.

You can also get a sweet uncooked corn flavour (different to the cooked/canned corn/cabbage DMS flavour) from some melanoidens so a longer boil may actually contribute in some beers. I've noticed it particularly with decocted weyerman floor malted bo pils.

I wouldn't have thought that would pop up in a porter though.

Hydrogen sulphide can be produced/emitted by some yeasts and will usually dissipate if given proper fermentation and conditioing tme. At this point, I'd be excercising patience and be in no rush to keg or bottle this beer.

Back