Corn Syrup Aint Corn Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Murray

Not at all, the guy that started the thread was asking a question or making a comment on the various forms of Maltodextrin on the market, I am not quite sure which, he sort of got slam dunked with how bad Maltodextrin is.

I dont agree that Maltodextrin is all bad; I said so and explained why I think what I do.

I do think we must be aware that not everyone who appears here is a masher the original post was either asking or explaining about Maltodextrin and its DE. To just say Drugs are bad doesnt address the question.
Mashing is great, but it isnt the only form of brewing, I just think it is a better forum when people can ask/comment on issues other than mashing without getting trampled. Hay they might hang around and become mashers if we dont scare them off.

I had intended to comment on DE but got side tracked.

DE is Dextrose Equivalence.
DE 17 is 17% as fermentable as is 1 Kg of Dextrose.
DE 48 is 48 % as fermentable as is 1 Kg of Dextrose so just over half of it remains in your beer as Dextrins that add body and mouthfeel.

So yes the lower the DE the more Maltins remain in the beer, however the only widely available form of Maltodextrin (around here anyway) is Fieldose 30. This is the form supplied by both of the big wholesalers to home brew shops. Would you believe that it is 30% fermentable?

I personally am less than convinced that Maltodextrin is the best way to improve head retention, a little dried (say 100-150g) Wheat Malt works a treat.

MHB

Is the wheat a steeper???? or a masher?????
The few attempts i have had included wheat.....mashed with the rest of the stuff..
Cheers
PJ
PS...MHB...I have a Barley Crusher...

MHB, I highly respect your opinion and understand the k'n'k users' experience with maltodextrin, but I have never tasted a beer that would not have been better without it, unless I have tasted beer where the brewer has lied to me about its inclusion. It always tastes "slimey" and it always gives me wind.

Is the wheat a steeper???? or a masher?????
The few attempts i have had included wheat.....mashed with the rest of the stuff..
Cheers
PJ
PS...MHB...I have a Barley Crusher...

As a generalisation, wheat malt will require mashing. As a general guide, your steeping malts are the crystal malts, cara malts and roasted malts.

There is plenty of easy to understand info here that you can browse with the search function. The good thing about having people's experiences at your fingertips is we have all gone through the same thing.

MHB: While there was an element of 'just mash ffs' I think it is clear that there was also the element that people have had bad experiences with maltodextrin with k&k. It is great that you provide your knowledge though.

Poppa Joe
I was talking about Wheat DME, Muntons make a spray dried version that is worth attention from anyone making extract based brews, as are the rest of the Muntons dried malts.

Post Modern
Fair cop I would avoid Maltodextrin if ever you are visiting my place I would defiantly rather you avoided Maltodextrin. After 20 years of brewing I am way over SO2. I think I have developed a bit of a sensitivity.

We all have to find out what works best for us I think the key point is what is best is a very individual answer, rather than an absolute.

Cheers
MHB
and good night

DE 48 is 48 % as fermentable as is 1 Kg of Dextrose so just over half of it remains in your beer as Dextrins that add body and mouthfeel.

So yes the lower the DE the more Maltins remain in the beer, however the only widely available form of Maltodextrin (around here anyway) is Fieldose 30. This is the form supplied by both of the big wholesalers to home brew shops. Would you believe that it is 30% fermentable?

I personally am less than convinced that Maltodextrin is the best way to improve head retention, a little dried (say 100-150g) Wheat Malt works a treat.

MHB

aye aye

Murray

Not at all, the guy that started the thread was asking a question or making a comment on the various forms of Maltodextrin on the market, I am not quite sure which, he sort of got slam dunked with how bad Maltodextrin is.

I dont agree that Maltodextrin is all bad; I said so and explained why I think what I do.

I do think we must be aware that not everyone who appears here is a masher the original post was either asking or explaining about Maltodextrin and its DE. To just say Drugs are bad doesnt address the question.
Mashing is great, but it isnt the only form of brewing, I just think it is a better forum when people can ask/comment on issues other than mashing without getting trampled. Hay they might hang around and become mashers if we dont scare them off.

MHB
MHB

I guess i was a bit unclear about my comment/question. I was making a comment on the info i picked up. It was kind of a question at the same time because i was looking for peoples reactions/comments about this info. your answer ultimately was the sort of info i was after. Nonetheless, finding out theres more than one way to skin the same cat was very helpful too.

While im at it MHB, when you said the wheat malt works a treat would you replace the maltodextrin altogether with it? or sustitute with some of it?

MHB, I highly respect your opinion and understand the k'n'k users' experience with maltodextrin, but I have never tasted a beer that would not have been better without it, unless I have tasted beer where the brewer has lied to me about its inclusion. It always tastes "slimey" and it always gives me wind.
Shit, if i knew i could put somethin in me brew thatd give me wind i reckon id go out of my way to put it in!
Theres not much funnier than havin a few beers with the boys, rippin a big fart, an watchin em head for the hills. We all get a big kick!

MHB

While im at it MHB, when you said the wheat malt works a treat would you replace the maltodextrin altogether with it? or sustitute with some of it?

Replace it with wheat DME.

Foxy
Wheat contains a bunch of head improvers, adding wheat in any form helps improve the head retention.

I was referring to Wheat DME, it helps a lot of K&K brewers make better looking beer and adds a very pleasant flavour.

MHB

Foxy
Wheat contains a bunch of head improvers, adding wheat in any form helps improve the head retention.

I was referring to Wheat DME, it helps a lot of K&K brewers make better looking beer and adds a very pleasant flavour.

MHB

Wheat contains proteins, which are good for head retension. Corn syrup is basically a mucilage, snotty, slimey, glue-like stuff. I know which I'd be adding to a kit.

Shit, if i knew i could put somethin in me brew thatd give me wind i reckon id go out of my way to put it in!
Theres not much funnier than havin a few beers with the boys, rippin a big fart, an watchin em head for the hills. We all get a big kick!

well if you're lactose intolerant... :D

You're about 7 months late with that one...

Back