Coriander And Orange Peel Flavours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,

After brewing my first belgian ale, with addition of some crushed coriander seed and chinese shop dried oragne peel, I was a little dissapointed in the flavour that was afforded.

I used 15 grams of crushed coriander, adn 10 of crushed dried orangepeel, for 30 mins at the end of the boil then removed them, in a 23 liter batch of OG 1070

should have I lef the adjuncts in the wort during the fermentation?

Cheers

case

Sinkas,

I think your problem is that you boiled the coriander too long. It is an aroma spice, primarily and should be added only in the last 10 minutes for that "orange" spiciness you want. I usually add around 20g of crushed coriander seed 2-5 minutes before the end of the boil. The orange peel gives you the soft "camomile tea" type flavours and is best boiled for around 20-25mins. I find that 10g is enough for my witbiers, but you might like to use more for Tripels, etc.

Cheers- Snow

sinkas,

First off, congrats on your first of many Belgians.

Was the coriander freshly crushed? I chuck my 30g of coriander seeds on a ziploc znd belt it with a meat mallet until all are crushed. Great aroma hit when U open the bag. I then boil these and my orange peel (which I see no need to dry) in a boiling bag for the last 10 min (IIRC).

I get a great amount of aroma and flavour.
Maybe I should make this as my contribution to the NSW Xmas beerz.

Please feel free to pm me, if U want any more details, when I have my brewlog handy.

Seth :p

P.S. Snow, I think it was 30 min after the end of boil and not boiled for 30 min. Cheerz.

G'day Sinkas

I haven't used dried sour orange peel (supposed to be curacao type - not the general dried stuff) but have used fresh peel to good effect.
Peel 1/2 a washed orange with a vege peeler then slice into thin strips 2 - 3mm wide. I think there's cooking term for this but who cares.

Chuck into boil with 20g cracked coriander 5 -10 mins before flameout.

Any longer than 10 mins and the volatile oils in the skin start to evaporate away similar to hop oils and the citrus aroma almost disappears.

I've found 1/2 - 3/4 of an orange skin to be about right.
I have done a batch with 2 whole orange skins but found it a bit skunky like bubblegum.

I've also tried 80g of coriander (with 1/2 a skin) and the kids thought we were having a curry for dinner. Actually tasted ok once you got past the smell - very sour. My mates voted it the closest thing to urine they have ever drunk - not that it stopped them.

hey folks,,

I've made a few wits with orange peel and found the ones that where i used dried peel to be better. Grate 2 oranges and try to get as little as possible of the white pith(bitter). Turn oven on to about 150C and put peel on a baking pan in the oven. Check and shake every few minutes and in about 10mins it's done. I think drying it gets rid of the acid maybe..

Hockaday's

Microwave on the lowest setting is always another option

Anyone tried using peel from Blood Oranges? (Just because I've got a heap of them in the fridge at the moment.)

Can't see why it wouldn't work. Can you tell the difference between the taste of normal orange from a blood orange, blindfolded?

Have a box of seville oranges outside (no wax), maybe I will have to zest some up.

2 cents here again...

From an old Ausbeer mag, Valencia goes well when blended 50/50 with dried Chinese orange peel. (Eric Young, Issue 16).

I use Valencia. The coriander covers any imperfections, if any,to my tastebuds.

Seth (well worth 2 cents) :p

The beauty of brewing Belgian Ales is that there are practically no limits on what you can add in your beer. If you like mandarine, I say go for it! And then report back :)

Cheers - Snow.

yep might give it a go.

another question: I posted this on the Grumpys site and GT gave me a response but I thought I might get a second opinion. Is wyeast 3942 a suitable yeast for a belgain witbeir (heogaarden style) or will it be a bit lacking when compared to 3944.

GT said it will be fine although when i looked it is not a recomended yeast on the wyeast website.

Hi Cubbie

Dunno I dont do wheat beers. I just dont like them. But I think the lack of response could be related to the fact that there arent many brewers who would feel confident in contradicting Thomas, given that he knows enough about brewing to progress from a hobby brewer to a professional, and has taken the time out to give an opinion on a site that is really designed to promote Grumpys products.

Probably about the only guy posting on this site with the balls to think he knows better than Thomas would be a bloke called TDH. You could try him.

cubbie,

I have no experience with the Belgian Wheat yeast, but I have made a few Witbiers.

Phenolics are part of the Wit style, so I am wondering why you want to use a low-phenolic yeast that is not specific to the style. Have you already purchased the yeast? If not, why not go with the Witbier yeast?

Unless you are scared of phenolics, which some people detest, I'd go the 3944 or Whitelabs equivalent.

So, rather than offering a contradictory opinion, I'm providing experiential information to assist formation of your own opinion.

Seth :p

BTW, I have been using WLP401 (Wit II) yeast with great results.

Sorry Cubbie,

Only just read this thread... I'm a bit slow on the uptake lately. :blink:

Yes, I've used Wyeast 3942 in a Wit. It's more than suitable. Nice esters and tart finish with probably only the slightest touch of phenol. I beg differ in regards to phenolics, while they're good in a Wit and other styles they're like everything. Should really be part of the complexity as opposed to total domination. That said I'm only speaking from personal experiences. Indeed other's MMV. ;)

BTW Goes nicely in the stronger Beglian styles too... I made a *very* tasty trappist from this yeast. Probably my best effort to date. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Weizguy

the reason I ask is that I already have a 3942 in the fridge.

And what you and Warren offered is exactly what I was after - experience.

i have just tried the 3942 in a dunkel hefeweizen. so as you can see I don't mind brewing without the ideal yeast.

Just going to brew a hoegaarden style for a mate (and myself of course) to celebrate his new house and didn't want to miss to much of the flavour profile of this style.

Cheers guys.

Cubbie,

If you want extra phenols from 3942 ferment it at the upper end of it's temp range. Say about 20-21c.

Fermented below 18 it becomes a little clean.

Warren -

Back