Cordless Drill - bigger chuck?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
One for the tradies out there. In fact I asked my carpenter mate on Sunday and he said he'd never heard of it...
I have a mashmaster mini mill. I upgraded from my barley crusher. ( :icon_offtopic: its for sale)
With my barley crusher I used to run it with my cordless drill or hand crank now and then. The drive of the mashmaster is bigger and my cordless chuck wont fit it. My 240V drill does fit it, but it rips the shit out of the grain, so I've gone back to hand cranking by default, not by choice. Instead of buying a spade handled low speed high torque or whatever it is I read about when researching driving the mill, I thought for sure there must be some kind of cordless drill attachment, that is another chuck, that opens up to the size of a 240V drill?
I cant find it on google, probably because I dont know what to search for. Bigger chuck for cordless drill gets rubbish returned.
Help!
mckenry

most drills have a 13mm chuck but sounds like your cordless is 10mm, you need an adapter. Hardware store should be able to sort you out. 3/8" to 1/2" in old speak.

EDIT beaten to ze punch :)

My corded spade handle variable speed ozito was only about $80 from memory and is a keyed chuck. I found with a keyless, it often slipped, sometimes three or four times during a crush.

Come on, a man can't have too many drills. B)

Liam_snorkel said:
most drills have a 13mm chuck but sounds like your cordless is 10mm, you need an adapter. Hardware store should be able to sort you out. 3/8" to 1/2" in old speak.

EDIT beaten to ze punch :)
So are you saying cordless drills 'normally' have the same size chuck as a corded drill?

Just flicking through the Bunnings site, most of the cheaper cordless have 10 mm chucks but some of the higher end have 13mm such as Bosch.

With the corded drills there's also a variety of chucks. Mine's 13 mm, and variable, and it was low end price.

I can't see my model on the current Bunnings lineup but if you like I'll ask the guys at Masters when I'm in there tomorrow.

ozito.jpg

Bribie G said:
Just flicking through the Bunnings site, most of the cheaper cordless have 10 mm chucks but some of the higher end have 13mm such as Bosch.

With the corded drills there's also a variety of chucks. Mine's 13 mm, and variable, and it was low end price.

I can't see my model on the current Bunnings lineup but if you like I'll ask the guys at Masters when I'm in there tomorrow.

attachicon.gif
ozito.jpg
Hmmm. Mine is Bosch, but I guess they do 10mm as well. I think its time to do some measurements. I have a bosch impact drill, which fits my mashmaster, but runs way too quickly. How do you know what size chuck it is from this ?

that is weird, doesn't say anywhere (even on the Bosch website) what the chuck size is.

Liam_snorkel said:
that is weird, doesn't say anywhere (even on the Bosch website) what the chuck size is.
I found elsewhere it said steel, no bigger than 12mm, (guessing that means 13mm chuck) BUT concrete no bigger than 16mm. So what does THAT mean?

you can buy drill bits with smaller chuck size than the hole you're drilling. They just did a basic calc based on the material resistance & what would burn out the motor.

73936.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
you can buy drill bits with smaller chuck size than the hole you're drilling. They just did a basic calc based on the material resistance & what would burn out the motor.

73936.jpg
Youre the man Liam.
Thats better than a like.

Mckenry I bought a $15 drill press chuck from the big green shed which fits my mashmaster. I trimmed the shaft of the chuck (and added a couple of flats) to fit my cordless chuck. It extended the shaft so I could easily attach the drill without modifying the mill platform and saved bruising the shaft by repeatedly attaching drill. There may be a pic sort of illustrating it in my gallery.

Have you tried swapping the chucks?They do unscrew and might have the same thread.
Alternatively you could use a socket and quick change shank.

hotmelt said:
Have you tried swapping the chucks?They do unscrew and might have the same thread.
Alternatively you could use a socket and quick change shank.
I'll have a go tomorrow. Might save me a trip and some $.
Turns out Liam was right and I have a 10 cordless, 13 corded. My old cordless must have been 13.

Back