Coppers Premium Lager no ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot Fifi

Reaction score
Gidday blokes,

My first brew, a Coopers Premium Lager ‘golden crown’. Firstly, does anyone know if this contains an ale yeast or a lager yeast? And what is the ideal temperature to kick start a lager yeast?

I tried to kick start mine at 16C, and it has since dropped, and is steady at 12C. However there’s no foam, no bubbling of the airlock. If the yeast is not fermenting (flat / dead?), is it possible to add another lager yeast (if the yeast was in fact an ale yeast) to the brew to avoid it going to waste, or is it best to start over?

Any tips or feedback would be much appreciated.

From my reading they do supply a yeast that is suitable for a lager but not for that low a temp, you want to get that back up to low 20's to see if you can get a ferment going.
I guess its been a week now so what was the outcome ?

I guess all the answers to your questiona would have been found on the bit of paper under the lid, they often are.
Mark

I’d check the gravity readings to be sure that no fermentation has happened. Airlock activity and Krausen are not reliable indicators. My most recent brew had very little Krausen, no airlock bubbling, but 5 days after pitching yeast the gravity has dropped from 1.060 to 1.020 meaning it’s sitting at about 5.3% and is most of the way fermented. I’ll leave another week or 2 to condition before bottling but the yeast has done the bulk to of the work now.

Back