Coppers Aust. Stout - K & Bits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronJ

Reaction score
A bit after the fact, but thought Id post a Kitnbits Stout I did yesterday. This is my 3rd brew.

I researched all the K&Bits recipes that I could find on the web and in books and kind of melded them together to come up with this:

1.7kg Coppers Aust. Stout
1kg Dark DME
500g Light DME
200g Dry Corn Syrup
150g Lactose
15ml Licorice Extract
Goldings plug @ 60min
Fuggles plug @ 30min
American Ale yeast - it was either USJ6 or US56 (I couldnt quite decipher the writing but it is supposed to result in a dryer beer than S04 I used on my last brew)

Boiled for 1 hour

Filled to 18.5 liters.

OG was 1.060

Temps where I brew is 20-22C

Now, there was one little mishap (lesson learnt)!

While bring the wort up to boiling I walked away for 30 seconds. Of course it was those 30 seconds that it chose to go from nothing to full boil and overflow onto the stove. What a bloody mess!!!

I guestmate I lost about 10% of the wort but figure it will be OK given I went heavy on the malt sugars and have reduce the overall brew volume.

Sound OK?

Aaron.

Hmmm with 1.5Kg dried extract, 200g Dried Tapioca Syrup, and 150g lactose that stout will not be a dry beer.

We have all had a boil over, and can sympathise :)

Jovial Monk

Thanks for the sympathy Jovial.

2 hours from start to finish for the brew and then another 2+ to COMPLETELY disassemble the stovetop and clean it! I cannot believe hpw that wort just gravitated towards all of the hard'to'reach spots!

Not too worried if it does not result in a dry beer. It was just a note that apparently this yeas does result in drier beers. Plus I wanted to try another ale yeast after trying the S04.

Do you think I was a bit heavy handed with the sugars?

AJ

Hi,
I did somthing close to that a year ago [before I found partials and AG] a year later it is tasting great, let it mature and enjoy.
Some of my K@ks a year later are drinkable and not bad.

Back