Copper Soldering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jye

Hop Junky
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have nearly finished getting all of my equipment for my first AG but need to join some copper elbows and t-pieces together to finish the kettle. I have the flux and solder but no torch, but will be buying a nasa type burner from Gameco soon and wanted to know if this would be hot enough to solder with?

If not is there another method of joining copper pipe that can be used? :huh:

Cheers

Plenty hot enough although considering the heat of the flame and the conductivity of copper I would be holding the pipe with a pair of tongs. Given photo's that others have posted I imagine the NASA would be more than hot enough to hard braze with.

Borret

sounds like a perfect excuse to buy a blow torch - it really makes you feel like a man!

Also good for defrosting freezers hey Al? :D

M

Cheers Borret, thats what I thought after seeing the pics where the stand is glowing red.

mobrien, one dangerous torch at a time :p

Jye said:
will be buying a nasa type burner from Gameco soon and wanted to know if this would be hot enough to solder with?

[post="70098"][/post]​

Hmmmm... Can smell that acrid aroma of hairs a'burning on the arm now. :blink:

Think you will find that torches aren't overly-expensive.

Warren -

And refer to Oz brewer and warrens handy houselhold financial planning tip on the stuck mash thread if you have any problems justifying the purchase :D

Borret

a blow torch for brewing? Don't be silly - its for defrosting the freezer - I told you!

Al, post the photo! :D

M

Borret said:
And refer to Oz brewer and warrens handy houselhold financial planning tip on the stuck mash thread if you have any problems justifying the purchase :D

Borret
[post="70104"][/post]​

:lol: We've both probably been married a long time. You eventually learn the tricks of the trade. :ph34r:

Blowtorch be thy metaphor! :p

Warren -

You can buy those Bernzomatic propane torches for about $20, including a bottle and tip. I used one for soldering all my copper work in my brewery and another project ;). They will do it no worries.

Are you using lead free solder? Wort is acidic and cleans copper up nicely and no doubt will take a nice little proportion of lead from the solder. Up to you but you can get a brand of leadfree solder from bunnings called Aquasafe 100, it's a 90% tin, 10% Cu, Ag and Antimony. No cadmium either.

Most solder is 50% (labelled as 50/50) or 40% (60/40) lead. Also, make sure you wash the flux off well too, that stuffs not good for you either (ZnCl2 in HCl).

Cheers, Justin

I was just thinking about this earlier today. We have a fridge that is constantly needs to be defrosted. (About time we bought a modern one, so that I could use this as my beer fridge). The Missus is having a Birthday next month, and I am always at a loss of what to buy her after 37 years of marriage. This thread game me an idea, thanks guys. I will buy one of those Benzomatic torches and learn how to use it at Bunnings on one of their teaching sessions and present that as her present. After all we are both practical now in our years of marriage. "I will need to defrost that fridge dear, and I thought this will be cheaper than buying a new one", at the same time, let her know that it is about time we bought a new one, it might be cheaper in the long term (After I bought the blow torch of course)...

:chug:
PeterS....

You think that will work???

Can you pick up the Bernzomatic torches at Bunnings?

Cheers

yeah i got mine there, but if your going to gt one, i would get the one with the mapp gass, then silver soldier it

These are the ones.

Warren -

ul100_b_w.jpg

oh and you need the blowtorch to fix her favorite sunglasses.....you know, the ones your about to go and smash

take a photo of here face when you give here back a clump of melted plastic.....

Yep Bunnings and most hardware stores should have them. The MAPP gas ones would be good also (hotter flame so you can silver solder and braze) but they are around $70.

No lessions needed, piece of cake.

JD

guys you got it wrong the hot air gun is for defrosting the fridge/ freezer. the blow torch is for fixing the hair dryer, sunnies and other associated equipment

Reminder: remove glasses from face before "fixing" with blowtorch.

PostModern said:
Reminder: remove glasses from face before "fixing" with blowtorch.
[post="70153"][/post]​

Oh oh. That's another trip to the shops. Need to buy a digital camera to capture the moment...

Gee.. This birthday present is becoming a bit costly..Oh, well, it is better than receiving hankies and underwear.

:chug:
PeterS....

I got a blow torch from Bunnings, one of the ones that hooks to a normal BBQ gas bottle on a long lead. Has a paint scraping attachment also, so of course its for "work" stuff!

Its awesome :D

Matt

Back