Copper For Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm keen to build an immersion chiller.
Prices at bunnings for copper tube is pretty steep ($50 for 6m!).
Where is the best place to pick this stuff up a bit cheaper???
Do i need 10-20m for a good chiller?

Cheers,
dougy

(I'm in Perth).

Bunnings is as good as it gets. People kept telling me it was cheaper to build your own, but that was before metals went mad. I've heard of people using ~18mtrs in a chiller but certainly the one I bought from the shop doesn't have that much in it. I'd think 10mtrs would give you a pretty reasonable chiller.

The way things are it would be better to just buy a new plate chiller from a retailer, or no chill.

Hi Guys,

Cheers,
dougy

(I'm in Perth).

Sorry but Bunnings is often not the cheapest for things, so shop around otherwise you'll pay for the convenience. For copper they are an absolute rip off.

You can pick up a 15m coil of 3/8" (9.6mm) for about $60 from air-con places. I got mine from Polyaire and picked up some flare-fittings from Reece for $12 each. Bunnings sell hose connectors that screw into these flare fittings for about $2.50. I think I used about 9m of tube in my chiller, works great. I also have enough tube left over to make a small pre-chiller sometime.

http://www.polyaire.com.au/copperprices.htm

On their site, Polyaire say they have a place in Balcatta WA if that helps you.

EDIT: You'll notice there are two prices for the 3/8" tube. Once is true imperial being 9.6mm and the the other is metric equivalent being 10mm. Get the 9.6mm, it's heaps cheaper.

My bunnings was about $115 for 18mtr annealed copper, I went to a plumbing store and they were $137 + GST...

I have probably said this a squillion times before but I will say it again (maybe because my name is something like that other guy Da...n over in SA)
If you are making a chiller out of 3/8" copper (9.53mm to be exact) then buy it from a refrigeration/ air con parts place like Polyaire as been posted above. It is a standard size in refrigeration but is an uncommon size in plumbing so plumbing places charge more for it.

Not sure on their metric sizing as all refrig stuff works on the OD of the pipe and I have not seen too many new flaring blocks and flare nuts around for 10mm tube versus 9.53mm. The main difference for the cheaper prices is that the cheaper stuff is imported from asia and the dearer stuff is made here in Port Kembla, the import is the 15m rolls and the local is 18m. For chiller use it is a moot point so just buy what is cheapest unless you have a thing about supporting local industries :)

thanks for the replys fellas. will go check out polyaire and save a few dollars!!!

dougy

And now to throw a spanner in the works.

$15 and drought friendly

finalproducttransferredtocubetocoolovernight.jpg

$15 and drought friendly
Umm good to see you managed to get all the air out of the headspace of your cube :ph34r:
i'll have mine with a serve of botulism on the side thanks :)

Umm good to see you managed to get all the air out of the headspace of your cube :ph34r:

There you would be wrong as its not my cube. It was taken from the AHB article for no-chill. :lol:

No reported cases of botulisim yet. Im far more worried about the chances of botulisim with garlic oil. People buy that stuff by the truckload because Nigella uses it! Have a bad batch manufactured and everyone is dead!

Mmmmmmm Nigelllaaaa :icon_drool2:

The brass flared female compression union fittings for the 3/8" tube are available from Reece HVAC-R. This is what is says on my receipt:

Production Code: 604060

Description: Comp Union Flared 6fi x 10c

Total price incl GST: $12.38 each

You'll need two of these, one for in and one for out, and you'll need access to a flaring tool in order to prepare the pipe to fit them. If you don't have a flare tool, consider that Bunnings always take returns back easily :) These fittings are actually intended for 10mm pipe but will work fine on the 3/8" stuff. No leaks with my setup.

So that you can connect your hoses up to these, go to Bunnings and get two of the NETA brand brass screw in spray/hose adapters (about $2.50 each). I can't remember the exact name. They might also sell them at Reece, I don't know.

Excuse the crappy pic, it was all I could find:

neta.jpg

These will screw into the other end of the flare fitting mentioned above. You may want to use a little thread tape, or you could just use the washer they come with or an o-ring between the two fittings.

So there you go, no soldering required.

$15 and drought friendly

finalproducttransferredtocubetocoolovernight.jpg

Hey that's a picture of a most delicious Belgian Wit I made

Bit of air in the cube doesn't matter - I've had a lot more than that for longer periods without issue

Also botulism requires an anerobic environment to develop

Cheers

:icon_offtopic: Keep it on topic please, dougy has asked about making a chiller. There are plenty of other long running threads to discuss the pros & cons of (no) chilling. Cheers.

Hey that's a picture of a most delicious Belgian Wit I made

Bit of air in the cube doesn't matter - I've had a lot more than that for longer periods without issue

Also botulism requires an anerobic environment to develop

Cheers
Guys no need to get bent out of shape, the emoticons were meant to show it was tongue in cheek. On that note I will stop trying to have a laugh and let this get back on the topic of chillers which your contributions have added nothing to at least my original ones were relevant to the discussion.

The brass flared female compression union fittings for the 3/8" tube are available from Reece HVAC-R. This is what is says on my receipt:

You'll need two of these, one for in and one for out, and you'll need access to a flaring tool in order to prepare the pipe to fit them. If you don't have a flare tool, consider that Bunnings always take returns back easily :) These fittings are actually intended for 10mm pipe but will work fine on the 3/8" stuff. No leaks with my setup.

So that you can connect your hoses up to these, go to Bunnings and get two of the NETA brand brass screw in spray/hose adapters (about $2.50 each). I can't remember the exact name. They might also sell them at Reece, I don't know.

Excuse the crappy pic, it was all I could find:

View attachment 21005

These will screw into the other end of the flare fitting mentioned above. You may want to use a little thread tape, or you could just use the washer they come with or an o-ring between the two fittings.

So there you go, no soldering required.

I love guys who post ACTUAL information that results in US making better beer

Just like the fridge issue I had...that fridge is still helping to keep cold beer in my kitchen :rolleyes:

Good on you Afro :)

Hi Guys,

Cheers,
dougy

(I'm in Perth).

I'm suprised no-one has mentioned the scrappies, 3/8 annealed copper was about 9 bucks a kg when i made my chiller (january), i think, all up it cost about $40.

Cheers

Sorry but Bunnings is often not the cheapest for things, so shop around otherwise you'll pay for the convenience. For copper they are an absolute rip off.

Bunnings ofer 10% off your best price so that would make them the cheapest by 10%!

Worked for me

cheers

Darren

they'll do %10 cheaper than a scrap dealer ? :lol:

Bunnings ofer 10% off your best price so that would make them the cheapest by 10%!

Worked for me

cheers

Darren
Riiiighhhhtttt... :huh:

Ever tried getting 10% off a trade price? (like you'll get from Polyaire)

It doesn't happen. Don't forget you'll need a written quote to even try.

And as I said, none of my local Bunnings actually sell 3/8" pipe... yours may though.

Latest posts

Back