Copper Chillers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff

Worst Website Ever....
Reaction score
Just finished my second AG. Ran much more smoothly than the first!

I made up a copper wort chiller which chilled the wort to 20C in around 30 minutes. Since it was the first time I have used it, I gave it a quick once over with some steel wool under the tap to brighten and clean up the dull appearance. I then dropped it in a stock pot and started to boil it to sterilise, it only got to 80C as I didn't time it well because I wanted to drop it into the boil for the final 10 minutes. So it was in the 80C for around 5 - 10, and in the boil for 10.

After cooling and during transfer into the fermenter, I tried some of the wort and it was extremely bitter, and I was wondering if it could be some of the copper affecting the wort and giving it that flavour. I used 15gm P.O.R (60min), 35gm Hallertau (30min) and 20gm Hallertau (10min). Would boiling the chiller for only 10 minutes affect the flavour?

Everything seemed to be going smoothly until then :unsure:

Any help would be appreciated.

Duff.

(Great night at Paddy's by the way and to meet some other guys from the forum. The Chocolate Porter and Amber Ale were awesome)

In future just stick your chiller in the wort with 15-20mins to go, no point waisting the energy trying to boil another pot of water to sterilise-especially when you already have one on the boil ;).

And, yep my beer always tastes really bitter straight out of the kettle, it's not the copper. Trust me it will settle down over the ferment.

Cheers, JD

Back