Coopers Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
I'm starting to plan for my next stout & am thinking of using a yeast cultured from a Coopers bottle. I'm wondering if Coopers, in the interest of profit & efficiency, use the same yeast in all their beers (including the stout)? Or will I have to get a Coopers Stout to get the right yeast? :blink: :blink:
If there's someone on this forum who works\has worked for Coopers or anyone else who can help here, your input would be appreciated. :) :)

Pete,

I've used the yeast from all bottles. PA, SA, stout etc. Pretty certain that they're all the same though.

Has been argued and stated that the primary ferment and bottling strain differ. That said the yeast from the bottle makes some pretty good beers.

There's been a few at-length discussions on this forum on it's virtues. Just key in coopers on the search bar and you'll get some pretty good info.

Warren -

Pete,
I have used the yeast from coopers sparkling ale to make stouts on several occassions. IIRC the same yeast is used in all there bottle conditioned beers. Don't hold me to that, this is what I have read and have been told over the years. I think the most important thing is get the freshest bottle of coopers that you can get your hands on. Living in Qld as we do the freshest coopers available is generally sparkling ale. I have used the yeast from the stout and dark ale before and it seems to take longer to fire up in the starter bottle.

:beer:
Anthony

From what I have read they are all the same. However the best to culture would be the pale ale becasue it's been in the lowest alchohol environment and hence has a lower chance of mutation from alchohol stress etc..
That said just give it a go and find out. The joys of brewing.

Cheers

Borret :blink:

They do use different yeasts in the brewery, but in the bottle conditioned beers the yeast is all the same.... although, it may be different for the bottle conditioning of the vintage ale and special old stout, but I'm not sure. Regardless, it wouldn't be a good idea to choose one of those beers for your culture source anyway.

I culture up coopers yeast all the time, from either pale or mild bottles.

Kai said:
They do use different yeasts in the brewery, but in the bottle conditioned beers the yeast is all the same.... although, it may be different for the bottle conditioning of the vintage ale and special old stout, but I'm not sure.
[post="60307"][/post]​
Given that (according to Coopers own information) Special Old Stout is just the ordinary stout that's been cellared for longer, it seems reasonable to suppose it has the same yeast. But yes, it would be a daft one to choose for culturing.

Special old stout is stronger than the yellow label stout, though. Nonetheless, I'm not sure on that info, as I have only a dim and murky memory of someone saying that the vintage had a different bottling strain, and I was clouding that even further by extrapolating onto the stout.

The mild, pale, dark and sparkling I am sure of, though.

My thanks to you all for the enlightening info. As I already have a couple of Sparkling Ale starters in the fridge, I might as well use one of those. If that doesn't work out, next time I'll think about trying a Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast. :D :D

Back