Coopers Yeast - Bananas, Will It Fade?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggs

Reaction score
I recultured Coopers Ale yeast and used with a Coopers Aussie Pale Ale kit, I know it fermented at 20-22 as this wasn't in the fridge (this one is supposed to be a quaffing beer) and this presents banana aromas.
It tastes ok, but my question is will the banana fade with age in the bottles? It's good but would be much better without the banana hitting your nose with every swig!

Beers I have brewed with S04 that showed the banana for the same reason (no fridge at that stage) did mellow in the bottle. But we are talking a few months at least. After ~7 months, the banana was all but gone.

Not sure about coopers yeast, but your recipe probably wont lose too much from ageing, so give it a try.

Cheers guys, it's not too bad so I'll just grin and bare it :D

From experience that yeast needs 16 deg tops. Otherwise you get a banana milkshake in my taste. Does not go away quickly enough to free up a keg or bottles unless you have plenty.

Like all, suck it down and remember to brew it at lower temps :)

With this yeast generally, over 19 banana, under 19 pear. And the esters get stronger after the first reculture. I go for 17.

I found that it went away fairly quickly, within a month or 2. Of course you are going to always have a slight flavour lingering.

Yeah cheers guys, I knew it was going to happen as the real brews go in the fridge (Kolsche is in there currently), but didnt realise how strong it would be.

Apart from the bananas I am really happy with the reculture and will definitely be doing it again - albeit in the fridge next time at 16-17 degrees.

Thanks for the help.

With this yeast generally, over 19 banana, under 19 pear. And the esters get stronger after the first reculture. I go for 17.

I don't find that the esters get stronger after the first reculture. When i do a coopers run i usually do back to back with it for 6 or more generations and find they all come out pretty much the same. As soon as the fermenter is empty i just pour another cube on top.

I played around with this beer alot when i first started brewing. Couldn't believe that i could make a decent clone of my goto beer for nix, so i went a little nuts. :)

I'm with ekul, I've used CPA yeast back to back for many generations and found zero mutation of it. I set the fermenting fridge to 16.5 for this yeast.

QldKev

I don't find that the esters get stronger after the first reculture. When i do a coopers run i usually do back to back with it for 6 or more generations and find they all come out pretty much the same. As soon as the fermenter is empty i just pour another cube on top.

Seems to be a lot of people of the opinion that would be overpitching (or do you remove some of the trub)?

Found any issues with this at all?

Seems to be a lot of people of the opinion that would be overpitching (or do you remove some of the trub)?

Found any issues with this at all?
Slight overpitch with this yeast isn't so bad, reduces the esters. Best clone i ever made was slightly 'over' pitched (i did an experiment with different pitching rates).

You don't want to underpitch this yeast, it will go bananery.

Plus i've tasted Kevs beer and its good, so is mine :) Back to back brewing ftw!

As ekul pointed out

Under-pitching leads to an excessive ester profile (banana)

Back