Coopers- What Gives?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can only wonder what founder Thomas Cooper would make of Coopers 62, the latest brand to roll out from the family-owned brewery he established back in 1862. Coopers 62 takes its name from that date and is branded as a “pilsner”, which is a significant diversion for the Adelaide-based outfit which made its mark with cloudy ales and stouts.
“We were also looking for a top-end pilsener replacement for Grolsch,” he says, of the Dutch lager which Cooper’s had the Australian distribution agency for until last year when the Grolsch family sold out to the SAB Miller group. The green, embossed Coopers 62 bottle was even designed to look a bit like the Grolsch equivalent, he says

http://www.microbrewing.com.au/news/articl...62-pilsner.html
;)

lolz

Bugger.

Confused some of the stuff they told me on the tour only a week ago.

I blame Monday morning and a severe lack of caffeine.

I'd like to do a Coopers tour. What was the lager like?

Problem if they had another beer is it would only take sales away from the green and red. And taps of green are eyed with enough suspicion as is in many pubs, not much chance of changing to a new coopers, let alone two - how often do you see red and green both on tap in the same pub?

That said, I'd love it if they tried to get the vintage on tap more often, even if just in places like the Taphouse etc.

I did the tour with Smurto and a couple of other guys. I enjoyed the tour. The brewery is bling. My favourite lager that I tried in the sampling was the coopers lager. So much so that I bought a carton for the boys at cricket on Saturday.

I did the tour with Smurto and a couple of other guys. I enjoyed the tour. The brewery is bling. My favourite lager that I tried in the sampling was the coopers lager. So much so that I bought a carton for the boys at cricket on Saturday.

Coopers Premium Lager is quite different to the famous Coopers ales. This lager produces a refreshing flavour with a good balance of malt and hop characters and is brewed using no sugar. With its subtle fruity esters and light golden colour, combined with a judicious blend of Pride of Ringwood and Saaz hops. This produces a Lager with a crisp malty full flavour.

Dirty mongrels! PoR in a Euro Lager?!!!

Coopers Premium Lager is quite different to the famous Coopers ales. This lager produces a refreshing flavour with a good balance of malt and hop characters and is brewed using no sugar. With its subtle fruity esters and light golden colour, combined with a judicious blend of Pride of Ringwood and Saaz hops. This produces a Lager with a crisp malty full flavour.

I don't think it's meant to be a euro lager. More like a premium aussie lager i.e hahn, cascade etc.

I didn't rate any of their lagers except the Sapporo they brew under license. I would happily buy a case of that. My favourite was the mild ale but i drink that regularly at my inlaws.

Really enjoyed the tour, the guide was quite open with his information (burtonised water, which beers used sugar in the kettle etc) and the bling was crazy.

Mash filter - yes please.

1200 bottles per minute (20 per second) on the bottling line - watching that go at full speed was impressive.

How does the mash filter work?

tnd
They crush their grist to powder. They mash as per normal. Then they pump the mash to the mash press (It is a series of filter plates with a ram on the end about as long as a bus). The mash gets pressed and it squeezes the sweet wort out. It looks like something from DR Who.

They crush their grist to powder. They mash as per normal. Then they pump the mash to the mash press (It is a series of filter plates with a ram on the end about as long as a bus). The mash gets pressed and it squeezes the sweet wort out. It looks like something from DR Who.

LOL sounds like Bribie G's wet dream.

How does the mash filter work?

tnd

You'd have to ask someone who was technically minded but i believe they pump the mash in, a piston drives plates that force it against the filter/membrane, the pistons withdraw, sparge water is pumped in, the process is repeated and then the spent grain falls out and is sent off to a silo. Any more detail the guide mentioned went right over my head. :rolleyes:

I was joking about the Kriek. I was not, however joking about writing to them. They may take your suggestions on board.

I forgot about Carlton Black although reviews I've read have compared it to things such as melted car tyres.

My point is that expecting Coopers to start rolling out single batches like LC do is probably expecting a bit much. That said, given a push, and the fact that craft beer in this country is getting a bit of motion going, they might have a crack.

Maybe we should start a petition? Although APA/AIPA is what every craft brewery offers and it can get repetetive. An all aussie PA using PoR and Galaxy with the coopers yeast might be a goer. I'm no big fan of galaxy but push the aussie thing it might yes Yoda.

Grolsch do a dark, Heineken do a dark

Coopers, CUB and Tootheys too...

Any more examples required?

I'm no marketing expert but I don't understand 62 Pilsner. Sure the euro lager is a huge market but its competitive as well. I'm not sure who they were trying to 'convert'.

I like Coopers- if I'm not feeling adventurous I'll pick up the PA or SA and think they're a nice introduction to well lets say 'ales' ;)

I think they were trying to convert Sapporo.

"we can brew lagers too"

Any more examples required?

Never seen the heineken or grolsch. I was talking about Australian large scale commercial breweries though (although coopers is really the only wholely aussie one as far as I know). Coopers is easily available to me so I see it (probably wrongly) as more ubiquitious.

Anyway point taken (re tooheys and CUB). I've been wrong before and I'm happy to be wrong today. Dark beers aside, I stand my my earlier assertion that they make beers that offer something a little different to the other large scale commercials.

Sounds a lot like Vic Pale Lager

Edit:wtf

Latest posts

Back