Coopers- What Gives?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rina

Reaction score
I mean the irony is their homebrew selection has a wider variety than their 'commercial' examples. I mean it is within their power to throw us a bone and give us a seasonal release once in while (I know the vintage ale is kinda supposed to be this but it is always a strong ale).

I used to be such a Coopers fan boy before I got into brewing, it was always my go to in the bottle shop. Since getting into making my own beer I have drifted away from them, not to say I don't drink their beers anymore, it's just that I look at other beers before I look at the Coopers stock if I'm at a botle shop.

Imagine if every large brewery put as much into their beers as coopers?

It's big, commercial brewery that offers a slight alternative to the others and that's all its intentions are.

Do you get a foster's vintage ale? Crown ambassador at $100 odd a bottle is as close as you'll find. Coopers vintage is much more affordable and much less wanky.

Compare Cooper best extra stout to invalid stout.

Which other large brewery offers a dark ale? How many of them brew ales as their main offerings? How many of them bottle condition? See it for what it is, not what you want them to be ( ie a mainstream brewery as opposed to a big craft brewery).

The other thing I like about coopers is their resistance to being bought out.

Coopers have a fairly large range. I rarely see there dark and stout at most shops, which sucks but I know where to find them.
A seasonal would be great, but I think they have all they need.
As manticle said, I think its great they haven't been brought out!

some beer's they make you can only get SA.try getting Dr timms premium ale can's..

I actually seen that at a bottle shop on High st.
Asked the guy working there and he said it was just Coopers PA, but he got it in so people could take it to festivals. I'm gonna right pissed off if he was wrong lol

Sorry mate, gotta call you out on that one. Invalid stout is a fine drop, I put it on par with Coopers BES.

Even better is their Sheaf Stout, made in Abbotsford, but almost impossible to find in Vic :(

Coopers make the BUL Sapporo don't they?

Perhaps you could think of this as a 'seasonal'...

Imagine if every large brewery put as much into their beers as coopers?

It's big, commercial brewery that offers a slight alternative to the others and that's all its intentions are.

Do you get a foster's vintage ale? Crown ambassador at $100 odd a bottle is as close as you'll find. Coopers vintage is much more affordable and much less wanky.

Which other large brewery offers a dark ale? How many of them brew ales as their main offerings? How many of them bottle condition? See it for what it is, not what you want them to be ( ie a mainstream brewery as opposed to a big craft brewery).

The other thing I like about coopers is their resistance to being bought out.

Tell it like it is, sister!

Most of the megaswill breweries have a dark ale and a 'mid' beer too. Maybe not to style or standard but Coopers is hardly exemplary when it comes to range . Cascade at least tries with their seasonals.

Also you could find Sheaf Stout in Victoria at Dans.

Sorry mate, gotta call you out on that one. Invalid stout is a fine drop, I put it on par with Coopers BES.

Even better is their Sheaf Stout, made in Abbotsford, but almost impossible to find in Vic :(

Invalid is OK. You have to try and make stout horrible to people who like stout. I don't think it's on par though.

Now that you've challenged me, I will buy a bottle of each next time I can actually afford to buy beer (so maybe a month) and test, side by side.

Never had sheaf.

Carlton Black. Probably more widely available than Coopers Dark Ale depending on the state. Look I know Coopers isn't going to do a kriek (they don't even do Belgian kits with the excuse 'consumers would think their beers would be infected') but hell a decent IPA would be a start.

I was joking about the Kriek. I was not, however joking about writing to them. They may take your suggestions on board.

I forgot about Carlton Black although reviews I've read have compared it to things such as melted car tyres.

My point is that expecting Coopers to start rolling out single batches like LC do is probably expecting a bit much. That said, given a push, and the fact that craft beer in this country is getting a bit of motion going, they might have a crack.

Maybe we should start a petition? Although APA/AIPA is what every craft brewery offers and it can get repetetive. An all aussie PA using PoR and Galaxy with the coopers yeast might be a goer. I'm no big fan of galaxy but push the aussie thing it might yes Yoda.

Coopers could really make a start of it by forgetting to put the 'instructions' into the lid of every tin and definitely leave out the booklet/cd from the starter kits.

Okay I will write. Though in this day and age of the internet I expected somebody from Coopers to reply to this thread and tell me to f*ck myself.

Latest posts

Back