Coopers Vintage Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
i've read on here quite a bit about people culturing yeast out of a bottle of coopers sparkling ale. and why not, its free when you buy the beer, and its a pretty darn good beer. last night i had one of their 2002 extra strong vintage ale, and i was pretty impressed by it. would there be any drawbavcks to using a yeast thats been bottled for two years? is there a "deadline" on how old a bottle would have viable yeast?
joe

Pretty sure the Vintage Ale is filtered and not bottle conditioned, so there will not be any yeast to trawl. You could use the yeast from their Sparkling Ale, but I doubt it's the same yeast.

Cheers
MAH

No i dont think its filtered. The Vintage is bottle conditioned. Had one the other day, wasn't one of my favourite beers....
The yeast was pretty much glued to the bottom.

MAH said:
Pretty sure the Vintage Ale is filtered and not bottle conditioned, so there will not be any yeast to trawl. You could use the yeast from their Sparkling Ale, but I doubt it's the same yeast.

Cheers
MAH
The first vintage of the Vintage Ale was filtered. After that it's always been bottle conditioned. The 2002 is just starting to get really interesting flavour wise and at 2.2 standard drinks to a stubby - you don't go through them too quickly either :chug:

Unfortunately it looks like the 2002 was the last of the Vintage Ale as there was no 2003 :(

mycle.,

2004 Vintage was released in sept. and is very tasty even now. I reckon the yeast in these would be fairly fresh,I've been saving the dregs from the bottles I've drunk and will try to culture it soon.

fwiw apparently the new vintage ale has a mixture of two different yeasts in it so it might be an interesting one to culture up. I used the 2002 yeast once (in 2002) and it made me a mother of an APA. Definitely tasted better than the sparkling yeast.

Anyone seen these in Perth (southern suburbs prefereably) I had the 2002 and loved it so I wouldn't mind grabbing some of these ... maybee a carton if the price is right :D

Leopold Hotel on Canning Hwy East Freo still has stocks - not sure on carton price though. Leo have always price-matched for me if you bring in a quote, so might be worth a few calls around.

Hey all.
WHat do people think of this beer? Didnt think it was worth a new topic, but just saw it then in the bottle shop, and pretty sure there was a bottle labelled 1999.
Think i might have to give it a go and see how it tastes.

I would grab it - if for no other reason that maybe you can get a 2002 and a 2004 and do a side by side comparison.

As a matter of fact, can you get it for me? :D

Trev (who has a case of the 2004 sitting in a dark cool spot for another year or two)

You in the NSW case swap trev? If you are id be moer than happy to pick it up for you.
I wouldnt mind getting some of it and sitting it somewhere quite for the more special occassions.
Its quite cheap considering its rarity, esp. at that age. In my opinion any way

Generally, the high alcohol beers are not the best environment to culture yeast from & Generally the older the beer the harder it is to get a viable culture from it.
Having said that, you can always give it a go!
Jim

The 2004 is great, i got a case given to me about a year or so ago for running a wine tasting at work. only have a couple of stubbies left in the cellar, i should have left them alone becasue they keep getting better.

As Jim said there might not be too many live cells left because aging in higher alcohol levels would probably kill them off slowly. if you get a culture going, maybe take another culture off this to use to try and reduce the amount of dead cells you would be pitching.

Latest posts

Back