Coopers Toucan Stout Twist

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
This is the plan:
Coopers Stout tin
Coopers Dark Ale tin
500g Light Dry Malt extract
250g of Dextrose
and 250g of Brown Sugar

I don't usually get down with dark beers but since I have had a mate make this and also tried the Epicurian Coffee and Fig Stout (which I would love to reproduce) I am a semi convert.
I have a BIAB set up ready to go and will brew up an IPA in my new pot but I don't know enough about grains to try this as an AG so want to follow the above recipe with a twist... a few Ideas I have had include dropping the dextrose and making it 500g Brown sugar *don't know what it will achieve just saves me goin out just to get more dex* also thought of adding toasted coconut or flaked oats and mashing in to this mix... again not too sure which one to do but just wanting to add my own twist to things... other ideas were either adding grains to add a caramel flavour or a choc flavour.... would need advice for both though.

Cheers

Chris B)

This is the plan:
Coopers Stout tin
Coopers Dark Ale tin
500g Light Dry Malt extract
250g of Dextrose
and 250g of Brown Sugar

I don't usually get down with dark beers but since I have had a mate make this and also tried the Epicurian Coffee and Fig Stout (which I would love to reproduce) I am a semi convert.
I have a BIAB set up ready to go and will brew up an IPA in my new pot but I don't know enough about grains to try this as an AG so want to follow the above recipe with a twist... a few Ideas I have had include dropping the dextrose and making it 500g Brown sugar *don't know what it will achieve just saves me goin out just to get more dex* also thought of adding toasted coconut or flaked oats and mashing in to this mix... again not too sure which one to do but just wanting to add my own twist to things... other ideas were either adding grains to add a caramel flavour or a choc flavour.... would need advice for both though.

Cheers

Chris B)

Adding the dexrose will increase your alcohol %, personally i would bump up the brown sugar to 500g, or use some treacle or golden syryp to enhance the caramel flavours, good quality coco for chocolatte twist, or even some fresh coffee steeped. As for the coconut I would toast it just prior to adding to secondary and one to release any oils and freshen up some flavour and secondly to sanitise it (to some degree).

Conversly you could do a base stout with the recipe split 5L of the batch and add each flavour and component sepreately and see how the flavours develope in each it to that and see how that tastes and what i does to the beer, this might be more favourable if you wanted to blend a few together to see how they go.

Adding the dexrose will increase your alcohol %, personally i would bump up the brown sugar to 500g, or use some treacle or golden syryp to enhance the caramel flavours, good quality coco for chocolatte twist, or even some fresh coffee steeped. As for the coconut I would toast it just prior to adding to secondary and one to release any oils and freshen up some flavour and secondly to sanitise it (to some degree).

Conversly you could do a base stout with the recipe split 5L of the batch and add each flavour and component sepreately and see how the flavours develope in each it to that and see how that tastes and what i does to the beer, this might be more favourable if you wanted to blend a few together to see how they go.

Cool thanks for the ideas mate. I may have to get some more buckets to start experimenting with... I have some old marinating buckets I can get... 20ltr food grade just need to clean them out and the only down side is no graduation marks and not very see through but I think they will do the job nicely.

If I up the brown sugar to 500g should I keep the dextrose too to keep the alc% up ? For a sweeter stout what sort of levels of lactose would be good (if I was to go that way)?

Chris

PS If anyone else has other ideas/ has used other grains it would be appreciated also B)

I'd use 2 tins of Stout for that stout flavour, and add in 300g of black patent. I'd also use 500g of brown sugar and use dark malt extract instead of light. I'd also consider some cara malt or chocolate malt.

I'd use 2 tins of Stout for that stout flavour, and add in 300g of black patent. I'd also use 500g of brown sugar and use dark malt extract instead of light. I'd also consider some cara malt or chocolate malt.

Cheers man more sound advice.. are all of those amounts sweet if Im making 23ltrs? Just thought I would throw this out there incase people thought I was making 50 like the last toucan B)

Chris

Cheers man more sound advice.. are all of those amounts sweet if Im making 23ltrs? Just thought I would throw this out there incase people thought I was making 50 like the last toucan B)

Chris

My understanding of lactose is that it is non fermentable and given this i would taste after fermentation is complete and add it then to get the desired sweetness, proberbly start at about 200g. Personally i would use a crystal malt to add some sweetness in the background and a little more body. proberbly start at about 200- 300g grams.

Chris

I'd do 20L to boost the abv a bit. Otherwise its fine. I'd have more concrete amounts if I knew what stout you wanted. My favourites in order are export followed by imperial and sweet (stronger examples). These are "traditional" strong stouts (6%+). Or do you want a weaker dry stout?

I'd do 20L to boost the abv a bit. Otherwise its fine. I'd have more concrete amounts if I knew what stout you wanted. My favourites in order are export followed by imperial and sweet (stronger examples). These are "traditional" strong stouts (6%+). Or do you want a weaker dry stout?
Sorry I have been away and out of WIFI/Cell range at the beach (don't get jealous though it rained three and a half out of five days!).

I am after a high ABV stout so 6%+ is cool and want it to be nice and sweet if possible too (lactose?) I am down for something complex like the Epicurian Coffee & Fig stout (sweet coffee flavour with oatmeal (I assume for the head/body), Coconut (add flavour and maybe texture) and Figs... (Don't need to add the Figs as all I could get from the Fig was aroma)... this made a type of desert stout *have seen people drop a scoop of vanilla Ice cream in as a desert of sorts*.....
I am a convert to stouts after this beer though so anything close would be gold... just starting BIAB so thought this Coopers can with a twist idea would be ideal.

Cheers

Chris

Hey mate

Posted this in another thread. Not sure if its what you are after but it has been my best beer to date!

Can of Coopers Irish Stout
500g Dried Dark Malt extract
500g Dried Light Malt extract
200-250g Chocolate malt
250g Maltodextrin
200g Milo
'Black-pac' (http://www.homebru.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=612)
S-04 Yeast

You could substitute the black-pac with some wheat malt, crystal malt and fuggles for hops or something?

If you really want that roasted flavour you can't go past some choc malt. This stout started at around 1.070 and finished at around 1.021 meaning its 6%+ and rather sweet plus very roasty like a chocolate/coffee stout. You could also use cocoa instead of milo or leave the milo out altogether.

Make sure if you use it you let me know how it goes! would love some feedback on the recipe. Everyone I know loves it, converted some non stout drinkers, including myself!

Main thing if you want to make a recipe yourself is Maltodextrin for some sweetness and the choc malt I rekon for the nice roasty flavours.

P.S - If you havent tried it yet, give a Young's Chocolate Stout a go.

Hey mate

Posted this in another thread. Not sure if its what you are after but it has been my best beer to date!

Can of Coopers Irish Stout
500g Dried Dark Malt extract
500g Dried Light Malt extract
200-250g Chocolate malt
250g Maltodextrin
200g Milo
'Black-pac' (http://www.homebru.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=612)
S-04 Yeast

You could substitute the black-pac with some wheat malt, crystal malt and fuggles for hops or something?

If you really want that roasted flavour you can't go past some choc malt. This stout started at around 1.070 and finished at around 1.021 meaning its 6%+ and rather sweet plus very roasty like a chocolate/coffee stout. You could also use cocoa instead of milo or leave the milo out altogether.

Make sure if you use it you let me know how it goes! would love some feedback on the recipe. Everyone I know loves it, converted some non stout drinkers, including myself!

Main thing if you want to make a recipe yourself is Maltodextrin for some sweetness and the choc malt I rekon for the nice roasty flavours.

P.S - If you havent tried it yet, give a Young's Chocolate Stout a go.
Hey mate, Cheers for this recipe. Looks bloody good. I would run with this if Extract wasn't so goddamn expensive over here! I will throw it down in the future for sure. I want to track down some Young's Choc stout. I hear there are a few clone type recipes floating round for it which is brilliant too.
I may save your recipe for a half batch scale down the track.

Chris :icon_chickcheers:

As you may have noticed I have a similar topic at the moment - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=61321

On that topic I was recommended just the 2 cans plus 0.5kg brown sugar, nice simple cheap recipe so I'll probably go with it.

Just wondering if it's a good idea to ferment it at 15L to avoid blowover mess and top up to 23L with water (or water + the brown sugar) once fermentation has calmed down.

Latest posts

Back